Middle Split Hold Form Check

Started by Joshua Slocum, December 30, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,243 Views

Joshua Slocum

I'm new to this exercise, so I was hoping some people on here could lend me their expertise and let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

 

A video of me doing a middle split hold:

 

http://youtu.be/EpiTsOVxZ54

 

It's hard to see because of the camera distance, but my hips are 1-2 inches in front of my forearms. 

 

 

Two videos of me attempting to push my hips forward:

 

 

 

 

I noticed my arms bend a little on some of these. Is there anything else I should be working to correct? Any pointers or tips are appreciated. 

yuri marmerstein

Try to actively retract the shoulders.  Many people including myself formerly make the mistake of rounding the back and pulling the chest in to try to get the legs higher. 

 

However, to actually lift the hips higher and eventually to manna you must retract the scapula.  It feels a lot different when you do this as well

Joshua Naterman

Retracted reverse planche leans can really, really help with this . A lot. Just take it slow, it is an awkward position.

Joshua Slocum

Thanks guys; I'll try both your suggestions today.

Keilani Gutierrez
Joshua Naterman said:
Retracted reverse planche leans can really, really help with this . A lot. Just take it slow, it is an awkward position.

you mean as in a Reverse plank and lean towards the feet or towards the head?