Form Check (Bulgarian Dips) And Some Doubts

Started by Amadeu Andrade, December 27, 2012 · 9 Replies · 2,756 Views

Amadeu Andrade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ1duYcv_e8

 

This is correct form? How can I improve?
5x5 done, now what?

 

And if you can help me:

 

I'll train on rings 4x a week (Mon-Tue-Thu-Fri).

 

Mon: HSPU-Pullups

Tue: Pushups-Row

Thu: Curls-Dips

Fri: CPP

 

Warm up->FSP->FBE->Stretching

 

How many exercises should I do for each FBE?

Eg: On monday, one exercise of HSPU and one of Pullups? or need more exercises?

 

I've read several threads and the book but I had doubts at this point.

Cole Dano

Your doing them too fast, and after the first rep, the elbows start drifting back in.

Slow down to about half the speed you are ging, try to keep the elbows open for each rep and get a nice turn out of the rings in the support at the top of each rep.

Amadeu Andrade

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

 

I don't understand this part "get a nice turn out of the rings in the support at the top of each rep.", can you explain?

I don't speak english very well.

 

And in my doubt on the FBEs? Can you help me?

Micawberian
Amadeu Andrade said:
Thanks! I really appreciate it.

 

I don't understand this part "get a nice turn out of the rings in the support at the top of each rep.", can you explain?

I don't speak english very well.

 

And in my doubt on the FBEs? Can you help me?

 

For turning out the rings in the support, this is explained in the book on the section for XR dips. Steps 3 and 4: Rotate your thumbs out so that the inside of the elbow is forward, then make sure the arms are not resting on the lats. You made an effort to do this before the dips started, but then after each repetition you hugged the arms to the body - so Cole was just saying to make sure you have a proper support position after each repetition.

Your FBE's are fine - standard GST program straight from the book. However, are you not doing leg and core work? Put some GHR, SLS, HLL, straight body, etc. movements in there.

Amadeu Andrade
For turning out the rings in the support, this is explained in the book on the section for XR dips. Steps 3 and 4: Rotate your thumbs out so that the inside of the elbow is forward, then make sure the arms are not resting on the lats. You made an effort to do this before the dips started, but then after each repetition you hugged the arms to the body - so Cole was just saying to make sure you have a proper support position after each repetition.

I get it, thanks!

Your FBE's are fine - standard GST program straight from the book. However, are you not doing leg and core work? Put some GHR, SLS, HLL, straight body, etc. movements in there.

I'm just discussing the rings workout.

My doubts are about how many exercises to do per workout.

Eg: @Dips day: do only bulgarian dips 5x5? is enough?

Furthermore, I do kickboxing, endurance training (lots of dips, pushups, pullups, SLS, GHR...) and olympic lifts.

Mats Trane

Like Cole said, slow down. If you want some numbers go 4 sec lowering down, pause 1 sec at the bottom, 1 sec up.

As for the support position, always make most effort NOT to touch the rings or straps with your forarms.

In my warmup for rings I always do a 30 sec ringsupport where I work on this. Also feel the inside of your elbow working, keep it straight and inside pointing forwards. This position and muscles worked will be very important for future advanced ringwork.

Mats Trane

Forgot to say, if you have access to a rope I would recomend to put ropeclimbing together with your HSP.

If you dont have access to a rope try to get one. I would say ropeclimbing is the best pulling exercise there is. I Waited to long to get a rope.

Joshua Naterman

Even the first rep is done incorrectly. You need to keep your elbows in line with your shoulders AND wrists. Imagine that there is a vertical sheet of glass that goes through both shoulders, both elbows, and both wrists. That's your proper position.

 

You will probably have to move towards that little by little, and start with partial ROM. Take your time, these are much harder on the shoulders than they appear to be.

Amadeu Andrade

Thank you all!

Amadeu Andrade

Can someone show me a video of correct form bulgarian dips (side view)?

How is the scapula position?