This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Possible idea to use FBEs from Coach's book for Hypertrophy

Started by golfwolf, December 10, 2008 · 2 Replies · 739 Views

golfwolf

My background

Spring '08: Needed to lose some weight, so I bought P90X, did two 90 cycles and got in good shape

Summer '08: Watched Olympics, and was amazed at the size & strength of the maile gymnasts, did some web surfing and found out about Coach’s book & web site

November '08: Joined a gym to gain size and strength beyond P90X.

My guess is there are many different reasons people take up gymnastic type training, and my goal would be to increase strength, and also help build the "gymnast physique." I completely understand the book is about training for strength and function first, with appearance as a result (or at least that's what I've interpreted) and I'm not trying to make it something it's not, but I was thinking about how to incorporate the bodyweight exercises to gain size.

Program idea

I recently read an article on something called "German Volume Training" and was thinking about applying that concept to some of the exercises in this book.

Essentially it's a compound movement for each major muscle group and you do 10 sets of 10 reps of your 1 rep max (or a weight you can do 20 reps for). You can "Google" it for more info but that's the basic idea. It's also supposed to be fairly intense and not to be used as an ongoing or regular program, although there are progressive workouts for advance GVT programs.

So here's what I was thinking. Take an exercises for horizontal push, horizontal press, vertical push, vertical press, and legs that you can do 20 reps and do 10 sets of 10 (90 seconds rests between sets). Work within an antagonizing split and take every other day off, so something like:

Set up

Day 1: horizontal push, horizontal pull

Day 2: rest (maybe work on static positions for vertical push & pull)

Day 3: legs (squats, hams, abs)

Day 4: rest (maybe work on static positions for horizontal push & pull)

Day 5: vertical push, vertical pull

Day 6: rest (maybe work on static positions for core)

Rest

Repeat

Just a thought.

gymrob

Nice...try it out to see how it goes. GVT is by the strength Coach Charles Poliquin. You can check out his other articles on the web and especially t-nation. They are very intersting and informative.

Best of luck keep us informed.

Arch

I'm trying to read everything from Poliquin I can get my hands on... I'm excited to try some of his ideas after finals are done!