One Leg Natural Leg Curl

Started by Alex Chubb, December 23, 2012 · 10 Replies · 3,617 Views

Alex Chubb

Someone asked me to post it. I am making improvements in this movement so here it is. I still need a bit of help from my arms and a bit of pike but the fun is in the journey.

 

yuri marmerstein

nice!

 

how are  you anchoring your foot there?

Alex Chubb

Thanks, Yuri!

 

I have my toes under that smith machine you see behind me.

Cody H

Good night, Alex! I can't wait until you have the full thing! Do you currently use the NLC as a main strength exercise, or as an accessory exercise?

 

How much do you feel, if any, that training the NLC carries over to other barbell lifts or lower body dominant activities such as sprinting? I realize that it probably isn't as effective as heavy barbell training, but it would be interesting to see what your experiences have been here.

 

Thanks a lot for uploading this!

Alex Chubb

Thanks, Cody!

 

I use it as accessory work. Usually in the leg strength workouts after finishing up squatting. So kind of a movement to balance out the pushing and pulling with the legs.

 

As for carryover, it helped a lot with deadlifting. Years ago, when I was working the two leg version, I deadlifted 300 pounds the first time I tried. And that wasn't exactly hard. With the one leg version now, I have noticed a big increase in sprinting speed and how far I travel with each step. It has actually made sprinting less tiring since I get a lot more distance now. Though I am still no Usain Bolt or anything. Squatting was a whole different story. I have found that if I do not squat, my squat doesn't go up. Deadlift does however when I program these in. I only work my leg strength twice a week though so maybe that has something to do with it.

 

No problem, my friend! Hope that helps and I look forward to when you are putting up the same video!

Joshua Naterman

Nice, thanks for sharing Alex! I suspected that what you have experienced would be what happened. That's actually how I'm programming my recovery training... I'm deadlifting some but focusing a lot more on the NLC and squats. Far too early for me to tell much, but I CAN tell that my injured hamstring is feeling healthier than it has in a long time, between this and the stretching.

Patrick Smith

Alex, how does your knee not hurt without much padding?

Alex Chubb

Thanks, Joshua! That's very similar to what I am on. I an not injured but I like doing things that are difficult and when I did a deadlift for the first time with a few hundred, I decided I would rather embarrass myself by trying to squat. I hope your hamstrings heal up! The squat/nlc superset is what makes leg day fun.

 

Patrick, that blue mat under my knee is actually a bit thicker than the video shows. I have fallen asleep on it at times.

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha, you've just given me a new superset to torture myself with! Thanks :)

 

The hamstring is doing pretty well, I'm just taking it slow, you know? It's annoying being 31 instead of the 20 year old machine I still, for some reason, seem to think I am at times! :P

Alex Chubb

It is the least I can do in return for all the crazy, yet effective means of torturing myself that you have given me. :)

 

I am sure even at the age of 50, you will still be able to embarrass most 20 year olds! You're still far ahead!

FredInChina
Joshua Naterman said:
(...) It's annoying being 31 instead of the 20 year old machine I still, for some reason, seem to think I am at times! :P

hahaha, LOL....... prepare to be annoyed for a long time to come Joshua, this never stops! :D