Increasing Statics And Getting Them To Fit In 3X Week

Started by Eric Xavier, December 23, 2012 · 6 Replies · 2,573 Views

Eric Xavier

Hello all,  I've been wondering about something this last few weeks and wanted to see your opinion.

 

I've been increasing the static holds portion of my workouts over the last couple of months and currently I'm just around 1 hour of static work.

 

I go to the gym 3x a week and I end up staying in there 2 to 2:30 hrs.  Since statics are taking such a long time to complete by the time I get to my concentric/eccentric work, I've tired myself out quite a bit.  Even though I get to finish the exercises, they are nowhere near the strength and quality that I used to have when  my statics were only 20-25 minutes.

 

What happened was my hold times increased, I added more and more statics in there and now I end up spending about an hour. 

 

When going in only three times a week, should I break them up into two and do half each day or should I keep doing all of them every day like I am doing now?

alec_ar

Wait, you do an hour of statics per session?

Eric Xavier

I do the following:

 

First four statics in a circuit

L Sit (20 sec)

Adv Tuck Planche (20 sec)

Back Lever (20 sec)

Front Lever (20 Sec)

I rest about a minute and ten seconds in between exercises and do four sets of these

(Some months I will stop doing the circuit and do the statics sequentially or in pairs)

 

Then I do:

Ring Support (30 Sec) 4 sets 1 minute ret in between sets

MSH bent on pb (15 sec) 4 sets 1 minute ret in between sets

 

I finish with wall handstands, 3 sets 1:30, 1:30 and 1:00 I rest 2-3 minutes between the handstands

 

That usually comes out to about 50 minutes to an hour. 

 

I want to add some planche leans and some grip/false grip hang work as I am having very good strength improvements from those two on my weak spots.  This I am currently adding and dropping at the end of my concentric work on some days where I am not too late in the gym and have the energy or time.

 

I'd split these up into two routines but I'm worried it would not be enough work (3x a week) to actually record progress.

Eric Xavier

I would not consider the isometric work warmups.

They are more taxing and harder to perform than the concentric work that follows.

Daniel Burnham

Working a movement 3 times a week is plenty for improvement. Drop msh until you have mastered lsit and straddle l as coach instructed in his manna essay. Most of your times are pretty high though you didn't list what progression you are on. Also limit rest time in between. You are right static holds are not strictly warmup especially when you get into more advanced positions. Split the statics into two different days. This should get you to around 20 - 30 min.

Eric Xavier

Hello Daniel.  Since I go to the gym 3x a week, If I split these up, I would be doing some of the movements only once a week, which I am afraid is not enough for progression (maybe I'm wrong).

 

For example if I split the statics in two A and B groups, one week I would be doing AxBxA so the B group statics only once that week.  The following week would be BxAxB so the A group statics would be only once a week.

 

I'm worried this will cause a plateau.  ideally if I could go 4x per week both groups would work twice that week and that would be perfect.  But I never seem to be able to hold a 4x week schedule.

Daniel Burnham

It's true that progress would be slower. If I were you I would either try to do some at home like lsit and handstands or simplify the list. You could also drop specific back lever work and only work it as a part of skin the cats and higher straight body moves. You really should have a good ring support before you begin, though over 30 sec should give you enough elbow prep before BL. Otherwise if it is very easy for you to perform, you could drop specific ring support and just include it with everytime you get on the rings. This is basically what I do. This would leave you with just planche, front lever, and lsit. That's doable 3x per week in about 30 min sessions.