False Grip On Rings (Can't Straighten Arms)

Started by Dyltreger, December 22, 2012 · 2 Replies · 4,075 Views

Dyltreger

Whenever I try to hold a false grip on the rings to perform a muscle up, I always slip off when I try to go into a dead hang. I can hold the false grip when my arms are bent, but as I try to lower, I slip off into a regular grip. Any tips?

Joshua Naterman

Straight arm false grip leaning away, and learn to do rows from there. Eventually do these with more and more open shoulders. At some point, you will have:

 

False grip hangs either on a bar or the rings! Make sure you have chalk!

FritsMB

Tape your rings (bottom half). Wrap your wrists with a short piece of ace bandage (just to protect against chafing and to give more friction). Use climbers chalk on your hands to keep them dry. To straighten your arms in a hanging position turn your hands all the way out. If you can not do that, then you lack strength in hands and wrists. You will have to train your hands and wrists to get stronger. You can do that, for example, by hanging in a bent arm position with false grip for say 20 to 30 seconds. Do sets of 3 to 5 of those during your warm up. Good luck.