Open Stairs

Started by tycio, December 21, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,131 Views

tycio

I was wondering, rather than using feet against a wall to stabilize an assisted (non-free) handstand, has anyone ever used an open staircase? I have been doing this where you just put the top of your feet up on the top of the step at a reasonable height.

 

This allows us to substract weight off our hands too by pulling more with the feet. Or, if you want to make it harder, you move it so that the bottom of your feet push on the bottom of the next step up.

 

I think this also may work better with handstand pushups because you pick a step where your legs are locked when your arms are bent and your arms are bent when your legs are locked. This can also work to subtract/add depending on if you are using the tops/bottoms of feet/step.

 

I think the adjustible height of an open stair gives more options compared to using a door frame or a ceiling since those can only add weight (by pushing) rather than subtracting.

phrak

In my experience, it's common to use a padded block maybe waist high to teach control of the lower body when inverted.