Planche's Shape
Started by Nacho training, December 20, 2012 · 6 Replies · 1,579 Views
decent looking. Might could protract more but cant really tell from the angle. Work on leaning a bit more and bringing hips down.
Very decent indeed! Definitely straight arms, great work so far!
As Daniel said, slowly start to lower the hips by allowing the shoulders to move more forward. You probably want do do this in very small increments.
Ok! Thank you very much ![]()
To clarify what i meant by allowing the shoulders to move forward, don't alter your body shape! I don't mean shrug up, I mean allow the arms to move closer to the body, or the body to move closer to the arms, however you prefer to think about it, without changing your shape.
That will be what slowly brings you to horizontal. It's a lot of extra work, even though it doesn't seem like it. It will probably take 16-22 weeks to achieve a horizontal position if you keep working the exact same hold times and focus on the lean, which is what I think you should do if you are actually training this position without apparent injury and have built up with what we consider to be proper preparation (basically slow and steady).
I calculated that by assuming you can make a ~20% increase in strength each year, and knowing that your current position requires 93.9% of the strength, assuming the approximate 20 degree angle I see is accurate, and that means you'll need yo gain 6.5% more strength than you currently have. 100/93.9 = 1.0649, which means that the horizontal position requires 6.49=6.5% more force than you currently have to produce in the position you show.
Assuming a 20% strength gain is possible in 52 weeks, which in many cases it is with proper nutrition, it will take you ~16 weeks of ideal training to accomlish this task. If a 15% strength gain is assumed to be the limit, then we increase the time to 22 weeks.
You probably don't want to make large increases, so I recommend that you focus on 1 degree decreases every week or 2 degree decreases every 2 weeks with the same hold times. These are very small, but you'll be able to feel the slightly greater effort required.
Do not try to move too quickly, you will be taking unnecessary risks with your connective tissues.
Please understand that while this is probably pretty accurate in estimating how much time it takes, I did not use any programs to make detailed angle measurements. That's a very close visual estimate, but even a few degrees will translate to a few extra weeks or a few less weeks. I'd focus on 22 weeks, and if progress comes a little faster then hey... it's a happy day!
Hi Joshua,
I really appreciate your information. It's so interesting. I' am going to apply all your advices from now and i'm telling you how it feels. With nutrition, i'm doing paleo since June 2012, and i training every day always I can. These last days I couldn't because of the university. Now, I'm on holidays so I can train again. I ussually split bent arm and bent arm strength, so i train planche each two days. Do you think is enough?
Thank you very much!
Whatever has been working for you will probably keep working. If that's what you do, keep it up!