So, here's the story of my weekend... and a little bit of the preceding years.
I got a knee injury and a broken wrist about the same time, when I was 12(Don't quote me on this). My knee pain kept me from running for almost four years, my radius grew back improperly and caused pain whenever I put pressure onto it. So, here I am, fifteen years old, almost sixteen when my doc gives me the okay to run again.
Through my four years of not running I became very passionate about parkour, freerunning, and gymnastics. Aside from my wrist, I could finally start. I ended up hitting my hand pretty hard in a snowboard bail just after my birthday in January. Surprisingly the next day, I could put weight on my hand again. When my bone grew back it cause a ganglion cyst to form. Hitting it cause it to pop, alleviating the pain.
I finally got to start gymnastics, well, tumbling actually(I'm still not that good).
I just recently(less than three months ago) started actually all around gymnastics. Starting with the basics, and working as hard as I could I slowly became proficient enough to be on the level 5 team. That's right, I'm 16 and on a level 5 team! I look pretty funny next to my teammates(all of whom are about half my height and age).
But, yesterday I had my first unsanctioned competition.
My first even was high bar. I encountered a slight injury between my back hip circle and undershoot. It's something that I'm sure a few other guys can relate too, so I won't go into detail. Even through this "injury" I held on tight and finished this routine. Barely able to stand from the pain. Once I had recovered I looked at my hands, I had already ripped a few days before, but now my hands were bleeding. Not just a drop either. I kept on anyway.
I did however receive a pleasant surprise when we got to pommel horse, I was able to, for the first time, do four circles on the mushroom. This wasn't quite enough for the whole routine, but it made me happy considering I only had two the night before.
I also discovered that I am too tall for some sets of Parallel Bars. :shock: And that I really need to work on keeping my arms straight during my BHS.
In the end of the night I got second place. Out of a whopping two people in my age class.
In my mind, even as the loser, this was a successful first competition.