This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wod - 121220

Started by Coach Sommer, December 20, 2012 · 5 Replies · 2,273 Views

Coach Sommer
Perform the following:

3x5 GHR

3x10 Weighted SLS

3x6 Circular Arch-ups

3x60m Backward Sled Sprint

 

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.  

 

notes:

1) This workout should be performed as a modified giant set.  To this end perform the GHR then rest 60sec, perform the Weighted SLS (alternate legs on each rep for a total of 5 reps on each leg) then rest 60 sec, perform 6 Circular Arch-ups then rest 60 sec (alternate direction here for each rep), finally perform the sled/tire sprints and then rest 5 minutes before beginning the next modified giant set.

2) Add as much weight as possible to both the SLS and Circular Arch-ups.  Do not be afraid to challenge yourself here; holding a 45lb plate during the SLS is not unreasonable for stronger athletes.

3) Be meticulous in using ONLY just enough assistance from the arms to complete each rep of the GHR.

4) Add sufficient weight to the sled/tire sprints to make the sprints quite challenging; the running should be very strenuous.  The Backward Sled Sprints are the primary focus of this GB WOD and should be approached very aggressively.

5) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting, have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap.  The best substitute, and possible even better than the sled sprints, is to run up a very steep hill with a weighted vest.

 
Nigel

As usual, it took me as long to figure out what I should be doing and how I was going to do it, as it did to complete the WOD.

 

I took the 3x to mean 3 rounds of (5GHR + 10SLS +6 arch ups + 1x60m sprint) + 60 seconds of straddle L over 6 reps of 10s each.

 

In the end I did 4 rounds. I was so confused and faffing about trying to video it that the 3 hadn't sunk in well enough.

 

As to the sprints, I haven't got a sled or tyre, so I went for the running up a hill which struck me as a spectacular idea - but I couldn't get it right. Should I be running forward or backward? How much weight should I be carrying? How many metres should I go for?

 

I guessed at backward, but couldn't see where to put my feet. I went for 8kg of weight after failing with 20, and I could only get a 20m run where I was. It was all a bit of a poor experience.

 

My video of the last round (the 4th of a trilogy) and the running and L-straddles will shortly be available at
http://youtu.be/RWw82CIzBN0

 

If anyone has any tips. The running up the hill bit may provide some comedy value.

 

 

Paulo

Well done overcoming the cold to finish this workout B)

 

my only comment, for the straddle L work, have you hands in front of your legs as opposed to behind like the variations in the book show. When the hands are in front between your legs all the pressure falls on your quads (as opposed to the L-sit variation your doing that targets tricepts/core etc)

Nigel

Paulo - thanks for pointing out I was doing the wrong straddle.

 

Ewethestuff - I see what you mean about the half GHR. I'll go for that next time, I could probably control it better and get more benefit than bouncing off the floor on my fingers to get back up. My SLSs have always been shaky, and I never seem to improve despite doing them quite a bit. I think my problem on that lies elsewhere as I have noticed my dynamic jumping power is not too good. So I have started doing jump lunges and stretching my legs a bit more, while concentrating on trying to hold up my horizontal leg while rising.

 

If anyone can clarify if I should be running forwards or backwards up the hill, it would be much appreciated, although I can see that different muscle groups are targeted running backwards, running slowly down a hill with a heavier weight may hit the same muscles?

Jon Douglas

Why would you run up a hill backwards? Does that not strike you as sort of recklessly dangerous as it does me? If you're spending your time craning to look over your shoulder to watch your feet, then you aren't going to be putting in the effort you should be for this exercise.

 

Throw some weight vest on and put your all into sprinting up it. For backwards days I usually figure out some variant of dragging block weights on flat grass, for forwards I run with a friend in a fireman's carry (up a hill if I happen to have one that day).

 

Otherwise I echo the comments made by ewe.

 

 

Edit for a thought; try not to overthink it. Remember that by making the effort and doing SOMETHING you're already ahead of a large chunk of the population, and hard work addds up faster than people think. No need to add stress by worrying over whether you're following a particular plan exactly 100%. Everyone (who doesn't have regular access to a gym) has a slightly different setup for wods, so we are all approximating in different creative ways.