Hip mobility and tightness

Started by Forest, December 8, 2008 · 3 Replies · 3,885 Views

Forest

Hi

I've noticed I have very tight hips, I cannot sit cross legged, when I try i get pressure and pain on both my knee joints and ankle joints from it feeling so tight and inflexible. This has been apparent for a good while now (I'm finally sick of it) and I'm just wondering what sort of movements can cause this.

As I am fairly flexible in other positions I want to concentrate upon loosening up my hips.

I've found this website http://stronglifts.com/7-dynamic-stretc ... -mobility/

that seems to cover most of what I need other than doing basic static stretches such as:

The basic ankle resting on other bent leg. http://www.physios.co.za/physios%20pics ... ch%202.jpg

Butterfly stretch-after a while this causes pain on my ankles.

and the one where you tuck one knee up under your chest with the other leg extended and basically sit back- http://www.fitnessgenerator.com/images/exercises/Prone Hip Rotator Stretch.gif

Just if anyone has any advice or other stretches or exercises that might be of use to me that would be a great.

thanks

Forest

thanks ed,

I have never given foam rolling etc much thought but that link was excellent and we have them in my gym so i will try to included it.

good luck

Blairbob

foam rolling will probably get you farther than just doing leg swings and split training, still it's a good idear. really tight hamstrings might limit hip flexibility, maybe