Hey guys,
My problem is when I lower or slide down into side splits I get an outer hip pain that makes me stop the range of motion. The particular position that I am talking about is side split with feet pointing forward and pelvis anteriorly tilted.
Tha anterior tilt does give me greater range of motion before the pain comes. I actually discovered this by accident when looking at anatomy pictures of the femur and pelvis and I found out that externally rotating the femur or anteriorly tilting the pelvis when in side splits allows the greater trochanter to move to the side and allow greater range of motion in abduction as well as allow the ligaments in front of hip to stay more lax. But I still reach a point where I can't go further because of discomfort.
I have not been pushing things. I have been at this more consistently for 2-3 months with negligible progress. I have tried building up strength and volume at the point just before the discomfort in hopes that this would allow me a safe base for further deepening the stretch. Still no progress. I train these about 2 times a week, sometimes only 1 time. I usually will do isometric holds of 30-60 secs and anywhere from 3-6 sets.
I really don't feel as if this is a case of too much, too soon. It really seems like something else needs to be addressed. If I am wrong feel free to guide and correct me.
In fact, I never even get to reach the point where I might feel the tension in my adductors, rather it is always a discomfort in the outer hip and curving around to the back of the body for some reason. I don't have this problem at all in front splits.
Anybody else experience this problem. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I can't tell for sure, but I don't believe this to be an issue of greater trochanter or femoral head being of a structure that won't allow for this movement.