Hanging Leg Raises And V-Ups

Started by dritar, December 18, 2012 · 5 Replies · 5,720 Views

dritar

Hello,

 

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a stall bar (these things used to be everywhere that could be called a gym when I was a little kid, but now, not so much).

 

Having a partner push on my back is unfortunately also not an option.

 

Are there any pointers to have good form on this exercise when performing it on a single bar ?

 

I was thinking that performing the hanging leg raise while holding the top of a chin up hold might remove the assistance of the lats, do you think this might work ?

 

Other question I had is, after the v-ups tuck exercise, the criteria for good form is holding a flat back, I don't understand how this exercise can be done without some arch in the lower back (albeit this may be that I simply lack strength to perform a good form v-up).

 

Thanks in advance.

Micawberian

Do you have access to a pole of some sort? Any pole like the kind you would try a side lever on. You can perform a hanging leg raise on those by grabing the pole like how a shoulder planche/shoulder flag on the chinese pole circus apparatus is performed. That might work as a makeshift stall bar, although only one side of your back will be pressing against the pole.

Or, do you have a single bar, monkey bars, etc? You can put your back up against the supporting column of the bar and grasp the bar overhead as in a commando pull up.

I hope these ideas make sense to you...

I don't like the idea of holding the top of the chin up and performing an HLL. However, dead hanging from the chin up grip and performing a HLL will provide less lat assisstance than the overhand grip.

Niklas03

If you find that you close the shoulder angle more than you'd like during the single bar HLL, after reaching the top you should concentrate on the negative. Slowly open the shoulder angle by sliding the hips down and keeping the feet close to the bar. Really compress!

 

Once the feet can't stay in contact/close to the bar, you could add a small hold of 2-5 seconds, which is followed by a controlled descent.

jl5555

Hmm... Pole dancing!!  Yuri!  Calling Yuri!  (all joking aside, this is a great idea though)

Shakyamuni said:
Do you have access to a pole of some sort? Any pole like the kind you would try a side lever on. You can perform a hanging leg raise on those by grabing the pole like how a shoulder planche/shoulder flag on the chinese pole circus apparatus is performed. That might work as a makeshift stall bar, although only one side of your back will be pressing against the pole.
 
dritar

No pole either unfortunately. I'll try it with my back against the rails of the smith machine using the mixed grip as suggest.

 

Thanks.

Blairbob

 Yes, you can use an undergrip or eagle/L grip. Or start the leg lift from a hollow hanging body instead of just a straight hanging body.