Gains And Inspiration

Started by Chris Edgar, December 18, 2012 · 13 Replies · 2,607 Views

Chris Edgar

Hey GymnasticBodies!

 

Just wanted to let everyone know I've been following the WODs for the past 3 months, I haven't been doing much legs as I broke my foot in 3 places in September, and I've had a lingering shoulder injury I've patiently been rehabbing...

 

All I've done is scaled the WODs right back, focused on proper form and tempo, and I've gone from 182 to 200lbs!

 

18 pounds in 3 months is insane, especially someone my size!

 

I hope people will finally start to listen when they are told to focus on the basics! It really is the key to getting the strength and physique we all want! That and eating like a horse!

 

Big thanks to Coach and everybody else!

 

Chris.

emos

And how has your body composition changed? Has your waist measurement gone up at all?

 

I mean, I could gain 18lbs in two weeks if for some reason I needed to.

 

I don't mean to put a downer on things - it's just that once upon a time I was very keen on weight gain as well and just got really fat, really quickly.

mirroredrain

Disregarding how others look into things, good on you man! Progress is progress. Keep up the WODs! Train smart and train hard and you'll continue to see physique gains.

Chris Edgar
I'd say my bodyfat percentage has increased slightly, I'm probably up from 10% to around 12-14%. But I've been inhaling butter and whole milk like its going out of fashion, so that's to be expected. My waist has actually stayed at 32".

 

I've always had an extremely fast metabolism, I'm only 22 and really struggle to put on any sort of weight normally. I'm confident I can strip the excess fat off in a matter of weeks, however I might continue to 'bulk' for the next few months and then eat cleaner throughout the spring. Everyone likes to look good for summer, despite what they say! ;) 

 

My strength to bodyweight ratio is pretty similar, but I haven't been pushing the intensity and I am heavier, so that's also to be expected. I've been doing pretty high volume, low intensity stuff, like Josh suggested recently and he stated that you can train the muscles to fully recruit in a matter of a couple of months. So I'm confident I'll make dramatic strength increases over the next few weeks.

 

I've always tried to eat clean in the past, but I seemed to stall a bit over the summer and decided I was overreaching and that it would be a good idea to drop the intensity and gain some more muscle.

 

I did get to the stage where I could do Bowers and full lay front lever rows in the summer, but it started to affect my shoulder, so I backed off and consolidated the adv tuck levers for 60s and it has definitely done my joints some good! It's definitely mandatory to build a solid base up first, like everyone says, you can't just skip steps and expect it to work!

 

Chris
Joshua Naterman

Keep up the great work, Chris! Let us know how you do as you switch focus to strength!

Chris Edgar

Thanks Josh!

 

I should be fine, the only problem I'e ever had is trying to progress too much.

 

I've been following the WODs  for around 12 months but I started off trying to increase too fast....

 

SSC FTW!

 

:D 

 

Chris

emos

Just be careful - it's all too easy to get excited about "weight gains" and then find out there's basically no new muscle underneath when you finally cut back down. I've been 140lbs and 215lbs, at 6ft. I go up and down in the top half of that range and not a lot changes. I've recently cut back down to 180 and want to keep going to below 170. I'm no weaker - in fact stronger on most lifts, and obviously bodyweight movements benefit.

 

Everyone's body is different, though. Some people gain a very good ratio of muscle to fat.

Joshua Naterman

It depends heavily on how you train and how you eat, for sure. Most people do it wrong, and some people just can't gain as fast as others.

Chris Edgar

As Josh said there is definitely a right way and a wrong way, but sometimes it just takes a lot of calories to put on weight, and sometimes those calories have to be from less than optimal sources. 

 

Honestly Emos I have never had problems with the issues you speak of, I've never been over 15% bodyfat in my life... I'm a complete ectomorph!

 

I'll put up pictures if it will make you feel better, but I've put on at least 12 pounds of lean muscle in as many weeks, and that is a testament to following this exceptional program and getting enough calories, fact!

 

Chris

emos
Chris Edgar said:
I've never been over 15% bodyfat in my life

 

How do you measure it, out of interest?

Lennart Hansen

Pictures?

stefanhinote

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Chris Edgar" data-cid="91640" data-time="1355877033"><p>

As Josh said there is definitely a right way and a wrong way, but sometimes it just takes a lot of calories to put on weight, and sometimes those calories have to be from less than optimal sources. <br />

<br />

Honestly Emos I have never had problems with the issues you speak of, I've never been over 15% bodyfat in my life... I'm a complete ectomorph!<br />

<br />

I'll put up pictures if it will make you feel better, but I've put on at least 12 pounds of lean muscle in as many weeks, and that is a testament to following this exceptional program and getting enough calories, fact!<br />

<br />

Chris</p></blockquote>

4lbs of muscle per month? Doubt it. Not trying to rain on you're parade, but I don't want others to get the impression that that's possible. Perhaps with steroids--I don't know.

Chris Edgar

The scales don't lie man. Lets say I was 182lbs @ 12%, that's 21.564lbs of fat. Now I'm 200 @ 14% which is 28lbs of fat. Now I'd say it's totally reasonable to put on 11lbs of muscle and 7lbs of fat in 3 months. Of course I don't know the exact figures, but I have no reason to lie to you... I've simply been eating a huge amount of food!

I'll put up a picture if anyone wants to see but it will have to wait as my laptop is in the shop...

Chris

emos
Chris Edgar said:

The scales don't lie man. Lets say I was 182lbs @ 12%, ... Now I'm 200 @ 14% which

How were these measured?