Hspu Elbow Position

Started by Marko Petrunic, December 15, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,397 Views

Marko Petrunic

Looking for a confirmation of the following statements:

 

There are 2 variations of FX HeSPUs:

1. elbows close to the body (narrow grip)

2. flaring elbows (wide grip)

Both are correct. (1) is good prep-work for 90deg push-ups, (2) is good prep-work for SR HSPUs.

 

I am also interested what are the differences in muscle-activation in these exercises?  

Coach Sommer

- The elbows are only able to flair out to the sides on supported or assisted HeSPUs.  

 

- As soon as the HeSPUs are performed free standing, the elbows will automatically come in to a more narrow grip.

 

- Both Free Hollow Back Presses and Free SR HSPUs are, as mentioned above, performed with the narrower grip. 

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Marko Petrunic

Thank you for your answer Coach.

 

Yes, they will automatically come in to a more narrow grip then, but we can control how much, right?. When I lower myself while letting elbows flair out a bit, I can perform freestanding HSPUs with my nose touching the ground. But as soon as I keep elbows close to my body (like in PPP), I cannot touch the ground any more. So, now I plan to eliminate training the easier version, as I believe that's the right way...?

 

Sorry I forgot to mention, I meant Bulgarian HSPUs on rings - those imply flaired elbows and wide grip, right?