This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Cody's Log

Started by Cody H, December 14, 2012 · 22 Replies · 152 Views

Cody H

Have a cold today. Not feeling very well. Just taking it easy.

 

Chores, warm-up, get blood going.

 

3 Sets of chin-ups. Arched. Focussing on retraction-depression. 50 secs. TUT each set. 5 secs up/down. Still have trouble keeping shoulders down and back at the top on the last several secs of each set. Aggravating.

 

6 sets NLC. Almost 135 degrees down to 180. 3 reps per set. 2 secs down/2 up per rep. Anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes of rest in between sets.

 

Finished with 5 sets of 100 light straight leg bounces. No jump rope. Need to buy a good one.

Cody H

Still have a cold and not feeling well overall. Kind of tired. Taking it easy. Finished my finals and I am happy about that and happy about everything but my Physics grade.

 

3 sets of arched chin-ups. 1-2 mins rest between sets. 60 secs time under tension. Getting better but the last 10-15 secs my shoulders still round up and forward at the top. So aggravating.

 

6 sets NLC. 3 reps per set. 2 secs down/2secs up. 5 min rest between sets. Slowly getting and keeping better hip/femur extension and glute tension throughuot current ROM. Trying to slowly build up volume in terms of sets/reps per day and days per week.

 

Can't do any single leg squats though. Haven't been able to do any in months. Too many issues with patella tracking problems. Cracks and pops (crepitus) in the knee at bottom half of movement accompanied by some pain and discomfort. Just not worth it to keep working them until I figure out how to correct my movement programming. Something I am learning about and love learning about but still don't know how to program and correct this kind of thing. Very frustrating because I don't get to progress.

Cody H

Still a little sick. Some head congestion and pressure. Slight headache. Kind of tired and trying to catch up on sleep and energy from being sick and from studying for finals.

 

5 sets of 100 light straight leg bounces.

 

3 sets of 10 reps flexion wrist push ups

 

3 sets of 10 reps extension wrist push ups

 

5 sets of 3 reps NLC, went down one inch further this for this workout, slow progress,

 

3 sets tuck front lever pulls, 5 secs up/ 5 secs down, 50 secs TUT, 2-5 min rest between sets

 

Found out why my left hip/femur area always feels unstable after raising from a deep squat and why the femur always has to readjust itself in the hip socket before I feel comfortable after raising from a squat or any femur flexion greater than 90 degrees

 

The problem is that when I extend my left femur, the femur head slides anteriorly in the hip socket. I don't know how to explain it any better than this and I don't know how to fix this. I discovered this when doing front splits with my left leg pointing back in extension. It is physically, visually, and palapably anteriorly located in comparison to the right side femur/hip socket. This would definitely explain the weird feeling, the sliding of connective tissues, and the instability that I experience on the left side in both flexion and extension movements. Now if I could only figure out what I need to do to fix this! Aaagghh.

Cody H

Feeling much better today. Still a cough.

 

3 sets arched chin-ups. 60 secs TUT. 5 secs up/ 5 secs down. 2-4 mins rest between sets.

 

3 sets front splits progressions. 30 secs per hold. 1 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets push-ups from flat hand up to finger tips

 

3 sets push-ups finger extension from back of knuckles to ends of fingers

 

3 sets cervical/thoracic extension   focus on tucked chin and extending from thoracic spine

Cody H

3 sets tuck front lever rows. 50 secs TUT. 5 secs up/5secs down. 2-3 min rest between sets.

 

6 sets NLC. 2 secs down/2 secs up. 3 reps per set. 5 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets wrist flexion push-ups. 60 secs TUT per set.

 

3 sets wrist extension push-ups. 60 secs TUT per set.

 

3 sets weighted cervical/thoracic extension from kneeling position. 30 reps per set. 1.5 min rest between sets.

Cody H

3 sets tuck front lever pulls. 50 secs TUT. 5 secs up/ 5 secs down.

 

5 sets of 100 straight leg bounces.

 

3 sets of 60 secs TUT wrist flexion push-ups.

 

3 sets of 60 secs TUT wrist extension push-ups. Still going easy on these as they cause some discomfort on the back of my right wrist for some reason.

 

Some toe and foot activation and control work for the feet.

 

3 sets of 30 reps neck extension from kneeling with 18lbs.

Patrick Smith

Hey Cody, what are straight leg bounces? Oh, you mean like the ones Joshua talked about in his journal one time. I remember now.

 

Also, glad to see you doing neck work. Seems like nobody else does it but me! :D

Cody H

Hey Patrick,

 

Yeah I am doing the straight leg bounces that Slizzardman suggested. I have been doing them in place of jump-rope because I don't currently have one. I am just trying to slowly build up volume and condition the various tissues for long term progress in higher force work. It is difficult to make myself go slow and steady but I have to because sometimes I get shin splints.

 

I am including the neck work as a combination of preparing and conditioning my neck and as a method of improving cervical/thoracic posture and resting tension. I am going light and easy and am aiming for quite a bit of volume and TUT before increasing weight. In the past I have worked the supine wrestler's bridge, but it was too difficult to adjust the difficulty. Besides, due to my poor neck posture and strength, I actually injured my neck while doing wrestler's bridges a couple of years ago and still have residual pain and discomfort to this day. After several failed attempts at incorporating the wrestler's bridge for rehabbing my neck, I have decided to forgo that and focus on harness work.

Cody H

3 sets arched chin-ups. 60 secs TUT. 2-3 min rest betweens sets. 5 secs up/ 5 secs down.

 

5 sets NLC. 3 reps per set. 2 secs down/ 2 secs up. 5 min rest between sets. Moved my chair out an inch further today for all sets and kept extended hips on last four sets! Progress. Slowly.

 

3 sets kneeling neck extension. 35 reps per set. 3 min rest between. 1 set with major arch in lower back. 2 sets with extension in thoracic spine. The different spinal positions seem to make a big difference in what area the exercise targets. Definitely more thoracic extension and activation with a neutral to hollow lumbar spine.

 

3 sets wrist flexion push-ups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets wrist extension push-ups. 60 secs TUT 2 min rest between sets.

Cody H

4 sets tuck front lever pulls. 50 secs TUT per set. 2 min rest between sets. On the last two sets I had to come down after 30 secs and rest a few breaths before continuing.

 

5 sets NLC. First set same ROM. Next four sets I moved my chair back another inch! I wasn't quite as extended in the hips as I wanted to be but overall a very nice, tight body and form. 5 min rest between sets. 2 secs down/ 2 secs up.

 

3 sets kneeling neck extensions. Still 18 pounds. 35 reps per set. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets wrist flexion push-ups. 60 secs TUT.

 

3 sets wrist extension push-ups. 60 secs TUT.

 

3 sets of bodyweight wide squats. 20 reps per set.

Cody H

Didn't do as much today. It was cold and I have to train in the shop which is cold.

 

3 sets arched chin-ups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest between. 5 secs up/ 5 secs down. Had to rest for a few breaths on the last 10-20 secs of the second and third sets.

 

3 sets finger/wrist flexion push-ups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets finger extension push-ups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest between sets.

Cody H

3 sets tuck front lever rows. 55 secs TUT per set. 5 secs up/ 5 secs down. 2 min rest between sets.

 

6 sets NLC. 3 reps per set. 2 secs down/ 2 secs up. 5 min rest between sets. Nice tight form. Moved chair back another inch for all sets.

 

3 sets kneeling neck/thoracic extension. 35 reps per set. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets wrist flexion push ups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets wrist extension push ups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest between sets.

 

6 sets of 125 light straight leg bounces. 2 min rest between sets.

Cody H

3 sets tuck front lever pulls. 60 secs TUT first set, 55 secs 2nd and 3rd sets. 2 min rest between sets.

 

4 sets of front split progression stretches on each side. 30 sec holds against gravity tensing the stretched muscles. 1 min rest between sets.

 

6 sets of 125 light straight leg bounces. Several minutes rest between sets as I was just doing these in between chores.

 

Front split has improved a lot. Still have a problem with my left femur coming forward anteriorly in the hip capsule.

Cody H

3 sets arched back chin ups. 60 secs TUT per set. Had to take a rest breath on last 10-20 secs of last 2 sets. 2 min rest between sets.

 

5 sets NLC. First set same distance. Subsequent sets I moved back the chair yet another inch. Good tight form on all but a couple of reps. 5 min rest between sets. 2 secs down/ 2 secs up.

 

3 sets kneeling neck/thoracic spine extensions. 40 reps first set. 35 reps next two sets. 2 min rest between sets.

 

4 sets finger flexion push ups. 60 secs TUT per set. 3 secs up/ 3 secs down. 2 min rest between sets.

 

Drug brush and burned it for a while. Walked around a while.

 

Very excited about the progress I have made on NLC's the last three months. So far, the hard work, the consistency, and the more intelligent progression and programming is working well.

Cody H

3 sets tuck front lever rows. 60 secs TUT. Still trying to complete all 60 secs without resting. 5 secs up/ 5 secs down. 2 min rest between sets.

 

4 sets front splits both sides. 30 secs TUT sliding down further into the stretch as I can. 2 min rest between sets. Getting down further but I am going to have to work on my hamstrings above the knee because this is my sticking point.

 

4 sets of 100 light straight leg bounces.

 

Did four or five 5 sec reps of hanging from a bar with my middle fingers. Trying to ease into this slowly without hurting myself.

Cody H

3 sets tuck front lever pulls. Finally got to 60 secs TUT per set. But I had to go to 50 secs on the 2nd and 3rd sets, catch a breath, and then do the last rep. 2 min rest between sets.

 

5 sets NLC. 3 reps per set. 2 secs down/ 2 secs up. 5 min rest between sets. Same distance on first set, and then for the next four sets I moved my chair back yet another inch and I kept a good tight form on all but  few reps! I think I am going to have to build up a bit of volume at this distance though before progressing further as things seem to be getting pretty intense at these ever increasing ranges of motion.

 

4 sets of 130 light straight leg bounces. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets of 30 bent leg bounces. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets of kneeling neck/thoracic extensions. 40 reps 1st set, 35 reps 2nd and 3rd sets. 2 min rest between sets.

Cody H

3 sets chin ups. 60 secs TUT. 5 secs up/ 5 secs down. 2 min rest between sets. Shoulders still keep rounding forward when I fatigue at top of chin up. Guess I need to keep building up volume for upper back with slow work.

 

3 sets kneeling neck/thoracic extension. 40 reps per set. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets wrist/finger flexion push ups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets wrist/finger extension push ups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest between sets.

 

4 sets of 140 light straight leg bounces. 2 min rest between sets.

 

Few light sprints just to move.

 

3 sets of 10 forward leg lifts.

 

3 sets of 10 backward leg lifts focusing on femur extension rather than lumbar extension.

Cody H

3 sets tuck front lever rows. 60 secs TUT. 5 secs up/ 5 secs down. 2 min rest between sets.

 

1 set of 5 advanced tuck front lever rows to the best of my abilities for a strength set.

 

3 sets wrist flexion pushups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets wrist extension pushups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest between sets.

 

7 sets of NLC. 3 reps per set. 2 secs down/ 2 secs up. 5 min rest between sets. Staying at the same angle and building up volume to solidify strength gains.

 

4 sets of 150 light straight leg bounces. 1-2 min rest between sets.

 

Some light sprints to slowly build up volume and intensity with these. Just taking it easy.

 

Some heavier jumps and bounces for some variety and to start easing into these as well.

Cody H

3 sets tuck front lever pulls. 60 secs TUT. 5 secs up/ 5 secs down. 2 min rest between sets.

 

4 sets of 150 light straight leg bounces. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets of 30 bent leg bounces. 2 min rest between sets.

 

1 set of 3 advanced tuck front lever pulls negatives for a strength set.

 

Got in some basic jumps, leaps, sprints, moving around in general. Fun.

 

3 sets of 10 on each leg side lunges for side split preparation.

 

5 sets of front splits on each side. 30 secs per stretch. 1-2 min rest between sets. Holding as much tension as I can and then sliding down and tensing again. Trying to slowly and very cautiosly build up volume on these before moving on. I have made GREAT progress with these in the last 2 months and I am very pleased. I will be even more pleased if things keep going the way they are.

Cody H

3 sets hollow chin ups. Hollow lower back, arched upper back. 60 secs TUT. 5 secs up/ 5 secs down. 3 extra reps of 10 secs following closely after 3rd set. 2 min rest between sets.

 

8 sets NLC. 3 reps per set. 2 secs down/ 2 secs up. 5 min rest between sets. Really focussing on building volume with these before moving on to increased range of motion. It's going well so far and in a few more workouts I should have 10 sets of 3. Takes a lot more time to get this kind of volume in though; I am not used to this. Did them coming and going between chores around the house.

 

3 sets of kneeling neck/thoracic extensions. Did 40 reps on all three sets this time. 2 min rest between sets.

 

5 sets of 150 light straight leg bounces. 2 min rest between sets. Worked these kind of multi-directional.

 

3 sets of 30 bent leg bounces/springs. 2 min rest between sets.

 

Did a few hollow almost L chin-ups just to start introducing myself to this movement. The hollow L position feels entirely different than what I am used to besides being more difficult.

Cody H

3 sets of hollow chinups. 60 secs TUT per set. 2 min rest between sets. 5 secs up/ 5 secs down. Some strength holds afterward at top of movement.

 

4 sets of 150 light straight leg bounces. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets of 30 light bent leg bounces. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets of 45 and then 40 neck/thoracic extensions. 2 min rest between sets.

 

3 sets wrist flexion push ups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest.

 

3 sets wrist extension push ups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest.

 

9 sets NLC. 3 reps per set. 2 secs down/ 3 secs up. First 4 sets done in a sequence with 5 min rest between sets, and last 5 sets done in sequence hours later with 5 min rest between sets.

 

Hopefully soon I will have 10 strong, good form sets of NLC performed all in one block of time with 5 min rest so that I will have built up reasonable volume to move on to more intensity.

Cody H

3 sets hollow chin ups. 60 secs TUT per set. 5 secs up/5 secs down.

 

3 sets tuck front lever rows. 60 secs TUT per set. 5 secs up/5 secs down.

 

4 sets of 160 light straight leg bounces working on increasing volume slowly and working through different ranges of motion in ankle.

 

3 sets of 30 light bent leg bounces.

 

Some light sprinting.

 

3 sets wrist flexion pushups. 10 reps per set.

 

3 sets wrist extension pushups. 10 reps per set.

 

11 sets NLC. 3 reps per set. 2 secs down/ 2 secs up. 5-7 min rest between sets. Really trying to build volume up on these but man they take a huge chunk of time to do them straight. Sometimes I have to do 5 sets before school, and then another 5-6 after school at night. Got some serious thoracic cramping after this day of these.

Cody H

Haven't posted in a while. Busy with new semester.

 

3 sets hollow chin ups. 60 secs TUT. 2 min rest. 5 secs up/5secs down.

 

4 sets of 170 straight leg bounces. 2 min rest.

 

5 sets of 10 wrist flexion push ups. 2 min rest.

 

5 sets of 10 wrist extension push ups. 2 min rest.

 

3 sets kneeling neck extensions. 45 reps per set. 2 min rest.

 

13 sets of NLC at current ROM. 5 min rest between sets. 2 secs down/ 3 sets up. Did 6 sets this morning and then the other 7 this afternoon. It feel neat to build this much volume up. Time consuming though.