Protraction Check

Started by jamesters, December 11, 2012 · 3 Replies · 1,419 Views

jamesters

I posted something similar in another thread but got no response, but I think protraction is my weak link in planche, but I'm not sure the particular reason.

I think I never protracted fully right from the beginning when I started training planche. I'm now concentrating on protracting to as extreme a degree as I can but it's difficult. I don't know if it's difficult due to lack of coordination (since I've probably barely used protraction in any athletics before gymnastics), or muscular weakness, or both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B717ufta0Ow

I'm wondering if there's any tips for getting better at this and any supplemental exercises to get develop my weak link for planche.



Bonus material: Does my protraction look better in elbow lever or is it still no good?

ellt1.jpg

Flameous

It's good to remember that for full planche you also need some depression and at least for me the combination of protraction and depression is really hard. Your protraction seems quite good there but depressing is something you want to work on. The elbow lever looks nice but there your shoulders have to hold only marginal weight in comparison.

 

Best way to focus on these is is simply scapular push ups, shrugs, dips and obviously whole lot of PL leans. Also remember to crush your rib cage with serratus. ;)

Joshua Naterman

It would be helpful if the camera was at the same height as (and lined up with) your shoulder during the lean. When you're asking about protraction, it would be more helpful to see things from shoulder level instead of hip level.

 

It does look like your protraction leaves a bit to be desired, but I'd like to see a video from shoulder level before saying too much more.

Nic Branson

The protraction seems to be a lack shoulder in position. They appear to be actually rolled up toward your ears then protracted in the lean.