Tea Cup Movement

Started by Rik de Kort, December 10, 2012 · 19 Replies · 3,325 Views

Rik de Kort

Well, posting a form check would be optimal, but I have nothing that needs checking right now (as you can see from my log). Therefore, I would like to hear your ideas on the following "Tea cup" movement:

Mats Trane

I had a period when I used it. Good for shoulder mobility/prehab. I used it in my warmup every time I trained.

yuri marmerstein

I'll use it on occasion when my shoulders are feeling stiff

Rik de Kort
Mats Trane said:

I had a period when I used it. Good for shoulder mobility/prehab. I used it in my warmup every time I trained.

Why'd you stop using it?

Mats Trane

I didn't realy stop using them. I still do them once or twice a week. At the time that I was using them alot I had an issue with my right rotator cuff. I also like changing exercises. At the moment I'm using Kits stuff alot.

Joshua Naterman

All I can say, since this is the first time I've seen this since watching old Kung Fu movies in high school, is that my bad shoulder (the right) is much less capable in this movement than my left, which I can almost do this perfectly with.

 

I will be using this for a while in warm ups, and will see what happens! Thanks!

 

Edit: This is primarily for developing and maintaining flexibility of the external rotators, which I have had a huge deficit in for several years (first really measured it in athletic training lab about 1.5 years ago) in the right shoulder vs the left.

AlexX

I came up with something similar on my own but had that broken down into different movements, I was surprised that no one really did mobility work for the external rotators. I don't know how much it contributed to relieving my shoulder pain but it sure makes my shoulder feel less stiff. His move feels a bit different/harder than what I came up with up, I'll replace it with what I have and see what happens.
 

Blairbob

 Interesting, looks like tai chi. I'l try to remember to try it before I go eat lunch *soon*.

Flameous

Try doing it with tray full of beer and it's an excellent strength exercise too.

Blairbob

 What an idea!

 I played with yesterday and today. Not terribly difficult and I used up to a 2kg weight plate. Will need to try a cup of fluid but my palm is pretty darn horizontal.

 Weird thing is I can feel my wrists subluxate on the way down. You can feel the tension in the wrists and elbow. Bare in mind I had a pretty gnarly double wrist sprain from a missed clean with 70kg back in late August. Still dealing with it's repercussions. Just able now to barely hold a bridge because of the wrist flexion with load.

 

 People at work thought I was doing some sort of dancing because they were dancing to bad 90's music.

 Really, Step By Step. Gag.

Joshua Naterman

Totally should have done that one at karaoke tonight!

Cole Dano

Rik you've started an new dance craze!

Cole Dano

I'm surprised you don't know that on e Blair, I was always told all the martial artists did them. It's a real classic and excellent movement.

 

I'll use a wood yoga block, which is a bit slippery.

 

The other thing is you would do this exercise going both ways.

gravy
Mats Trane said:

I had a period when I used it. Good for shoulder mobility/prehab. I used it in my warmup every time I trained.

:huh:

yuri marmerstein

you can also do both arms at the same time, forwards or backwards.  I feel it a bit more this way

Rik de Kort
Cole Dano said:

Rik you've started an new dance craze!

Finally, a dream fulfilled!

Cannister
yuri said:

you can also do both arms at the same time, forwards or backwards.  I feel it a bit more this way

 

That guy Steve Cotter goes over this variation in "excercises 3 and 4" - here are all 4 variations for reference (just 1 hand fwd, 1 hand backward, 2 hands fwd, 2 hands backward):

 

synchroGENized

Wow - that was just the movement I needed today!  Thanks! 

Joshua Slocum

That looks excellent. I'll have to add it to my repertoire. Thanks!

Joshua Naterman

This stuff is totally awesome for warming up, cooling down, and general limbering of the shoulders. Plus, it looks really cool!