Previous Fbe Progressions - Maintenance

Started by mhodges, December 8, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,284 Views

mhodges

I think this has been addressed in previous posts, but I can't for the life of me find where I read it.

 

Once you've hit 3 sets of 3-5 on an FBE and you've moved on to a harder progression, as I understand it you should still do the easier progressions as warm-up/maintenance sets for your main FBE strength work. My questions is would you cycle through a warm up set of all previous progressions for an FBE? Or do you just pick one easier progression and do a couple of sets of warmup.

 

For example, if its my horizontal pushing day, and strength wise i'm doing XR PPPu should I precede this with a warm up set of: FX pushups, FX PPPu, XR Pushups, Bulgarian pushups and THEN do the main strength work of XR PPPu? That seems like a lot of warmup.

 

Apologies if I'm over thinking things.

Cannister

Yeah - you're overthinking things.  That sounds like it would take forever.  Just warm up with the exercise one step easier in the progression, then get on to your main FBEs.

mhodges
Cannister said:

Yeah - you're overthinking things.  That sounds like it would take forever.  Just warm up with the exercise one step easier in the progression, then get on to your main FBEs.

I guess I was thinking that you were supposed to do a warm up of all of them because I read (don't remember if it was Slizz or Coach that said it) that you should revisit positions/movements that you've previously mastered at least once a week for maintenance. 

Daniel Burnham
mhodges said:

I guess I was thinking that you were supposed to do a warm up of all of them because I read (don't remember if it was Slizz or Coach that said it) that you should revisit positions/movements that you've previously mastered at least once a week for maintenance. 

Thats true but if the exercise is close enough you don't need to.  For example doing ring dips is enough to keep p-bar dips.  Revisiting skills to keep them is more like getting into l-sit once a week after you have mastered it.  I do this with back lever.  I got the skill a few months ago so I just do it once a week during a ring routine. 

mhodges
Daniel Burnham said:
Thats true but if the exercise is close enough you don't need to.  For example doing ring dips is enough to keep p-bar dips.  Revisiting skills to keep them is more like getting into l-sit once a week after you have mastered it.  I do this with back lever.  I got the skill a few months ago so I just do it once a week during a ring routine. 

That makes sense. Thanks!