This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Schmidt Tagebuch!

Started by Patrick Smith, December 8, 2012 · 39 Replies · 389 Views

Patrick Smith

This is my journal. There are many like it, but this one is mine.  :icon_twisted:

 

I'm working hard on getting proficient level 1 statics, so I will use this to track them on a workout to workout basis.

 

This is not for the Easter Egg thing...  :mellow:

 

Also, the name just means (very roughly, my German is pretty bad) "Smith's Journal" in German. I'm part German and I wanted it to be a bit different than all the other "Bob's Journal!" so I could find it easier... lol

 

Workout Post Template:

 

-Date

 

-Section name Statics

 

- Section name Dynamics

 

- Finishers

 

- Notes/Thoughts:

 

Edit:

 

Now that Fundamental 1 is out (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I will only update to record notable events and the passing on from one preparatory element to the next. Can't document my workouts exactly.

JN12

you're halfway right,

Tagebuch means journal indeed, but smith means "schmied" in german (as in smith who works with metal), the corresponding name would be schmidt or schmid   :D

 

Have you ever been to germany?

Patrick Smith

Thursday 12.06.2012

 

Statics:

 

WHS - 5*20 sec. (not to max at all, maybe 75% max with as perfect form as I can get)

Arch Hold - 5*30s

 

HH - 5x45s 1st set, 25s rest of the sets

PB Support - 5*20s

 

Hollow Plank - 5*55s 1st set, 45s rest of the sets.

Inv. Hang in Hollow - 5*30s

 

* 60-80 seconds rest between each super-set.

* These numbers reflect what my highest time was and what the rest were generally around. My next workout will be recorded much more specifically. All holds except handstand are held as long as possible with as perfect form as I can.

* In my workouts, I do misc. exercises/mini-workouts during rest periods to decrease training time. These are what I fit in:

 

1. 10*20 calf raises w/ 20# DB + 20 shin raises

2. 2*10 single leg calf raises

Patrick Smith
JN12 said:

you're halfway right,

Tagebuch means journal indeed, but smith means "schmied" in german (as in smith who works with metal), the corresponding name would be schmidt or schmid   :D

 

Have you ever been to germany?

 

Thanks! LOL. My German is very poor at best.

 

And nope, sadly never been.

Patrick Smith

Saturday 12.08.2012

 

Statics: 

 

 

WHS - 20, 20, 20, 20, 20

Arch Hold - 30, 30, 30, 30, 35

 

HH - 45, 35, 25, 25, 25

PB Support - 35, 35, 35, 35, 25

 

Hollow Plank - 60, 45, 50, 45, 45

Inv. Hang in Hollow - 45, 40, 40, 30, 35

 

 

* 60-80 seconds rest between each super-set.

* All holds except handstand are held as long as possible with as perfect form as I can.

* Handstands feel STRONG today. I even walked about 5 feet by pushing off with one arm at a time with arms straight. Never done that before...

* No mini-workouts or anything but statics today. Have to go prepare for final exams.

Patrick Smith

No workout today... postponed until tomorrow after my last final exam. Can't wait! Lol

Patrick Smith

Okay, starting tomorrow is a fairly detailed experiment on myself that will last two weeks. I will record my BF% calculated from measurements at 8 points with calipers, LBM, morning weight, and how what I ate, how many kcal I ate, and when I ate it on each of the 14 days. I will also track all my static times and how my dynamic strength feels, as well as how I feel overall on each day. I will post the whole thing here when I'm done. Oh yeah, and also sleep as well as bed time and waking time for each day to see if there are any super obvious affects of more/less sleep...

 

Can't say anything more about it yet though. I just want to see for myself.

 

:D

 

Update: Starting on Saturday. Too much has gotten in the way. Starting on Saturday...

Patrick Smith

Saturday 12.15.2012

 

1. Statics (in seconds)

 

 

WHS - 20, 20, 20, 20, 20 (not max time at all)

Arch Hold - 40, 40, 35, 30, 35

 

HH - 45, 30, 30, 30, 30

PB Support - 25, 20, 25, 25, 25

 

Hollow Plank - 60, 45, 50, 40, 40

Inv. Hang in Hollow - 45, 40, 35, 30, 35

 

2. Dynamics:

 

3x20 deep 4.5-5.5 step (wide) squats with 75#. + 2 minute rest

 

+ 45 sec. isometric side split, which despite not stretching at all, has increased to about 8-10" off floor. Just from squats and the very very rare stretching.

 

Pulling mini-workout

- 4x9 incline hammer curls w/ 20lb db's + 30 sec.

- 4x9 ring rows + 30 sec.

- 3x9 banded standing hammer curls + 30 sec.

- 2x9 band pull aparts / scarecrows + 30 sec.

- 1x9 chin ups/parallel grip pull ups

 

Finishers/extra things fitted in during rests:

- 3x25 weighted neck flexions (15lbs) and neck extensions (30lbs)

- 10x20 calf raises with 1-2 second hold at top w/ 20lb DB

- 5x8 single leg calf raises

 

Notes:

I missed the last two workouts, but I felt really strong today. My times were only slightly affected which surprised me! 

Patrick Smith

Tuesday 12.18.2012

 

1. Statics (in seconds)

 

 

WHS - 20, 20, 20, 20, 20 (not max time at all)

Arch Hold - 60, 50, 45, 45, 45

 

HH - 55, 35, 35, 30, 25

PB Support - 35, 35, 30, 25, 30

 

Hollow Plank - 70, 45, 50, 50, 45

Inv. Hang in Hollow - 50, 35, 45, 40, 30

 

2. Dynamics:

 

2x20 deep 4.5-5.5 step (wide) squats with 75# + 2 minute rest

 

+ 60 sec. isometric side split + 20 second relaxation in new ROM. 8-10" left I think but I didn't measure accurately.

 

1x10 single leg arch ups (10 each leg)

 

Finishers/extra things fitted in during rests:

- 3x25 weighted neck flexions (15lbs) and neck extensions (30lbs)

- 10x20 calf raises with w/ 40lb DB (double weight from last time)

- 3x30 sec. isometric hold at top of calf raise.

 

Notes:

- I like doing these statics. It's neat to see my times improve almost every single workout!

Cody H

Joshua,

 

It's funny you mention this about the morton's toe compared to morton's foot. The interesting thing is that I seem to remember that the ancient Greeks revered and prized the morton's foot/toe. If I remember correctly, they considered it a thing of great beauty and even featured this in some of their sculptures. Just can't remember specifically if it was the morton's toe or morton's foot.

Patrick Smith
Cody H said:
Joshua,

 

It's funny you mention this about the morton's toe compared to morton's foot. The interesting thing is that I seem to remember that the ancient Greeks revered and prized the morton's foot/toe. If I remember correctly, they considered it a thing of great beauty and even featured this in some of their sculptures. Just can't remember specifically if it was the morton's toe or morton's foot.

Hi Cody, you're posting in the wrong thread. :D

Patrick Smith

Thursday 12.20.2012

 

1. Statics (in seconds)

 

 

WHS - 20, 20, 20, 20, 20 (not max time at all)

Arch Hold - 75, 55, 50, 45, 45

 

HH - 45, 30, 30, 25, 30

PB Support - 40, 40, 35, 30, 30

 

Hollow Plank - 60, 60, 55, 60, 60

Inv. Hang in Hollow - 40, 50, 45, 45, 45

 

2. Dynamics:

 

3x5 pull ups (1st set on bar, 2nd and 3rd sets were on rings) + 2 minutes

 

Pushing mini-workout:

- 4x6 strap tricep extensions (on rings) - more or less diamond push ups on rings with hands placed at face or a foot ahead + 30 sec.

- 3x4 HeSPU with 6" block + 30 sec. 

- 3x9 dips on PB (usually first 4-5 reps are good, but rest need foot support) + 30 sec.

- 1x12 reverse grip push ups (with hands at waist and fingers pointed toward feet)

 

3. Finishers/extra things fitted in during rests:

- 2x25 weighted neck flexions (15lbs) and neck extensions (30lbs)

 

Notes:

- Handstands feel unbelievably strong. I think I will increase the time in a few weeks.

- Arch hold is getting better and better.

- Hollow hold was very hard today. My trunk in general was tired and it affected all my times I think.

- Hollow plank seems like it was lower than last time (average time being 46 seconds) but actually hitting a minute or so for basically all 5 sets is an average of about 59 so big improvement in overall endurance there !

- Calves were still kind of sore so no calf work today.

- No lower body work either because my clubs Christmas "sparring" party is tonight and I don't want to be too tired.

- MY TRICEPS!! ARHHHHGGG. That mini-workout makes my triceps burn so much it hurts. Thankfully yelling and shouting my newly learned German curse words helps alleviate the pain. LOL

 
Patrick Smith

LOL. I just found out you can "Like" your own posts... what a temptation. LOL

Patrick Smith

Saturday 12.22.2012

 

1. Statics: (in seconds)

 

HS - 20, 20, 20, 20, 20

AH - 75, 60, 60, 60, 60

 

HH - 45

PBS - 45

 

5x20 calf raises with 40 lb DB

 

Notes:

- Got cut off really early today. My brother needed to build something in the room I was training in and I was going to help him. Turned out that it got postponed, but I feel like the rest would do me good anyway. I'll probably just train on Monday instead of Tuesday to help compensate and also because Tuesday is Christmas day.

Patrick Smith

Sicker 'n a dog right now. Can't wait to get training again on New Years Day which I HOPE I'll be well on.

Patrick Smith

Ugh.

 

I have nothing against sport martial artists, but I wish they'd at least maintain at least remotely decent standards of technique and delivery. Seeing "super fast" and "amazing" fighters in NASKA and associated tournaments with high degree black belts on and who include ridiculous theatrics and dramatics in their "kata" or "sparring" wearing black belts and being held up as the best when they are maybe, just maybe, as good as a 3rd kup or 1st dan black belt at my club. And that's being generous because they're top fighters for the "grand championship" make basic errors that the attentive 7th kups don't make. Their fighting style is sloppy, uncontrolled, weak, slow, and has crummy stances to back it up.

 

I have nothing against sport martial arts, but it's not even a good sport if the scoring standards are complete garbage, much less a "martial art." These tournaments are just for show, and although I used to aspire to compete and win them, I am convinced that it would be an actual marring of my reputation to do so.

 

Someone commented on a video with Raymond Daniels in it and said something to the effect of, "He's freaky fast." Really... red belts in my club are as fast as he is, and I would crush him in a speed race. He cuts all his movements off by tensing up too much, which, coincidentally is the cause of his absolute and complete lack of any respectable power. Can't believe a "famous" fighter like him hasn't even learned basic looseness in striking.

 

Jadi Tenton is another such fighter like Raymond who is said to be legendary but deserves no such accolades for his lack of skill. There's another one, Felton I think, who I just saw fighting Daniels. They all fight the same, just at varying degrees of badly.

 

Tournaments be damned, if I can't find one with decent standards than I will simply concentrate on evolving to beat the fighters who can beat me. I'll learn a whole new style of fighting if I have to...

 

Just watching their videos leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Ugh..

 

 

Edit: Now that I'm in a calmer mood, I think I'll say for the record that this is completely true. Blunt, harsh--maybe, slightly--but as true as I can know. 

Patrick Smith

Finally getting over this dang flu! I need to train !

Keilani Gutierrez

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Patrick Smith" data-cid="92690" data-time="1356935140"><p>

Ugh.<br />

<br />

I have nothing against sport martial artists, but I wish they'd at least maintain at least remotely decent standards of technique and delivery. Seeing "super fast" and "amazing" fighters in NASKA and associated tournaments with high degree black belts on and who include ridiculous theatrics and dramatics in their "kata" or "sparring" wearing black belts and being held up as the best when they are maybe, just maybe, as good as a 3rd kup or 1st dan black belt at my club. And that's being generous because they're top fighters for the "grand championship" make basic errors that the attentive 7th kups don't make. Their fighting style is sloppy, uncontrolled, weak, slow, and has crummy stances to back it up.<br />

<br />

I have nothing against sport martial arts, but it's not even a good sport if the scoring standards are complete garbage, much less a "martial art." These tournaments are just for show, and although I used to aspire to compete and win them, I am convinced that it would be an actual marring of my reputation to do so.<br />

<br />

Someone commented on a video with Raymond Daniels in it and said something to the effect of, "He's freaky fast." Really... red belts in my club are as fast as he is, and I would crush him in a speed race. He cuts all his movements off by tensing up too much, which, coincidentally is the cause of his absolute and complete lack of any respectable power. Can't believe a "famous" fighter like him hasn't even learned basic looseness in striking.<br />

<br />

Jadi Tenton is another such fighter like Raymond who is said to be legendary but deserves no such accolades for his lack of skill. There's another one, Felton I think, who I just saw fighting Daniels. They all fight the same, just at varying degrees of badly.<br />

<br />

Tournaments be damned, if I can't find one with decent standards than I will simply concentrate on evolving to beat the fighters who can beat me. I'll learn a whole new style of fighting if I have to...<br />

<br />

Just watching their videos leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Ugh..<br />

<br />

<br />

Edit: Now that I'm in a calmer mood, I think I'll say for the record that this is completely true. Blunt, harsh--maybe, slightly--but as true as I can know.</p></blockquote>

is there a technique that you use in your workouts that help you with fast twitch nerve response when you do your upper/core/lower portions? i've read about plyo ascents for lower body but want to know what i can do before progressing to the next SSC, so that the newly acquired strength could be translated to power more efficiently?

Keilani Gutierrez

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Patrick Smith" data-cid="92690" data-time="1356935140"><p>

Ugh.<br />

<br />

I have nothing against sport martial artists, but I wish they'd at least maintain at least remotely decent standards of technique and delivery. Seeing "super fast" and "amazing" fighters in NASKA and associated tournaments with high degree black belts on and who include ridiculous theatrics and dramatics in their "kata" or "sparring" wearing black belts and being held up as the best when they are maybe, just maybe, as good as a 3rd kup or 1st dan black belt at my club. And that's being generous because they're top fighters for the "grand championship" make basic errors that the attentive 7th kups don't make. Their fighting style is sloppy, uncontrolled, weak, slow, and has crummy stances to back it up.<br />

<br />

I have nothing against sport martial arts, but it's not even a good sport if the scoring standards are complete garbage, much less a "martial art." These tournaments are just for show, and although I used to aspire to compete and win them, I am convinced that it would be an actual marring of my reputation to do so.<br />

<br />

Someone commented on a video with Raymond Daniels in it and said something to the effect of, "He's freaky fast." Really... red belts in my club are as fast as he is, and I would crush him in a speed race. He cuts all his movements off by tensing up too much, which, coincidentally is the cause of his absolute and complete lack of any respectable power. Can't believe a "famous" fighter like him hasn't even learned basic looseness in striking.<br />

<br />

Jadi Tenton is another such fighter like Raymond who is said to be legendary but deserves no such accolades for his lack of skill. There's another one, Felton I think, who I just saw fighting Daniels. They all fight the same, just at varying degrees of badly.<br />

<br />

Tournaments be damned, if I can't find one with decent standards than I will simply concentrate on evolving to beat the fighters who can beat me. I'll learn a whole new style of fighting if I have to...<br />

<br />

Just watching their videos leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Ugh..<br />

<br />

<br />

Edit: Now that I'm in a calmer mood, I think I'll say for the record that this is completely true. Blunt, harsh--maybe, slightly--but as true as I can know.</p></blockquote>

is there a technique that you use in your workouts that help you with fast twitch nerve response when you do your upper/core/lower portions? i've read about plyo ascents for lower body but want to know what i can do before progressing to the next SSC, so that the newly acquired strength could be translated to power more efficiently?

Patrick Smith

Hi KeilaniG, why are you asking me? Also, you don't need to quote my entire post... You can just reply in a the quick reply box and I'll understand.

 

As far as your question goes, in general:

 

  • I do quite a bit of straight legged bounces. Usually about 50 whenever I think about it. They're not intense or tiring, in fact most of the time I do them as a final part of my sparring warm up.
  • Every once in a while I will do box jumps (onto box)
  • Depth jumps (off of box)
  • Killers (jumping lunges)
  • Jumping kicks
  • and Squat jumps

I do none of these in high volume or high frequency right now because I find my speed maintaining or improving on its own as I improve my technique and basic strength, and also because I'm too busy focusing on much more important things right now.

Keilani Gutierrez

yeah, for some reason my phone left all that post looking rather wierd hahaha

i was asking because I have noticed that I've lacked speed(due to lack of strength) and wanted to get your experience as a martial artist who does GST. none of my colleagues do bodyweight exercises in a structured way, so i wanted to get a better definition of the dofference between strength and power. I also speak spanish and sometimes i get lost in translation :P

thanks a lot for your input! I'll do the straight leg bounces and box jumps/jump depth if i can make one. the jumping lunges, do you do them "gym" style or in a bow stance?

Patrick Smith
KeilaniG said:
yeah, for some reason my phone left all that post looking rather wierd hahaha

i was asking because I have noticed that I've lacked speed(due to lack of strength) and wanted to get your experience as a martial artist who does GST. none of my colleagues do bodyweight exercises in a structured way, so i wanted to get a better definition of the dofference between strength and power. I also speak spanish and sometimes i get lost in translation :P

thanks a lot for your input! I'll do the straight leg bounces and box jumps/jump depth if i can make one. the jumping lunges, do you do them "gym" style or in a bow stance?

Hi (!) and no problem. 

 

Box jumps are one of the safest ways I know of developing jumping ability, but if you're interested, I recommend you begin holding isometric horse stances for a minute or few at a time (no more than 3 minutes). That made my kicks quite a bit faster. I also recommend you practice mildly slow kicks because they will increase your control which will help you relax/tense up at the proper moments and also it will give you practice doing the kicks slowly with perfect form. Don't go too slowly tho.

 

I just noticed I've only been referring to lower body striking speed development, but I think everything you need to develop fast and heavy hand strikes are already in this forum! Just do your GST and eventually progress to the plyometrics and, of course, practice your techniques!

 

What do you mean by "bow stance"? I just lunge and then jump in the air, switch legs as I'm airborne, land in the reversed stance, and repeat. Exactly like the Killers in Coach's WODs.

FredInChina
Patrick Smith said:
Okay, starting tomorrow is a fairly detailed experiment on myself that will last two weeks. I will record my BF% calculated from measurements at 8 points with calipers, (...etc...)

 

Aaaaaaaannnnnnddd........... what happened?  :not_the_easter_egg:

 

Patrick Smith said:
Ugh.

 

I have nothing against sport martial artists, but (...)  if I can't find one with decent standards than I will simply concentrate on evolving to beat the fighters who can beat me. (...) 

 

You should try full contack knockdown karate Patrick :)

 

Keilani Gutierrez

nvm the bow stance reference, what i meant to day was if it resembles a "warrior" position like they do in Yoga? or is it a lunge with the back knee bent barely touching the ground?

btw, do you mean isometric horse stance with your legs parallel to the ground like is done in Gong Fu?

Patrick Smith
KeilaniG said:
nvm the bow stance reference, what i meant to day was if it resembles a "warrior" position like they do in Yoga? or is it a lunge with the back knee bent barely touching the ground?

btw, do you mean isometric horse stance with your legs parallel to the ground like is done in Gong Fu?

I have no experience with Gong Fu, but the Japanese call the horse stance kiba-dachi and according to Craig, the Chinese call it Ma Bu. 

 

cavalier.jpg