This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Knees

Started by Primate, December 7, 2012 · 9 Replies · 138 Views

Primate

Post seminar I'm starting from scratch through the various PE elements for fundamental strength, I've got to say, I feel better than I have in years, I'm already seeing a huge improvement in my posture in only a couple of weeks.  My knees however, are another matter.  I've not been kind to them over the years, and they're struggling.

 

My understanding on the SLS progressions, was that if you don't have a solid SLS yet, then you should run through ALL of the PE elements on leg days (everything prior to hawaiian squats).  Well, I tried this last week, and I guess it was too much volume for me to maintain form, because my knees have been grinding and aching ever since, I'm struggling to get up and down now (felt fine at the time though).  Clearly I'm resting them for now, but once the pain dissipates, I'm not sure how to progress.  I can't do a single SLS yet, I lack both the strength and mobility.

 

So my question is this.  Doing ALL of the PE's is clearly too much volume for me at this stage, so what should I do to give me the best bang in terms of strength and mobility for the SLS?  I can do any of the PE's with good form at 5 x 5, including Hawaiian squats (Possibly beyond, I've not bothered to test myself).

Sam Carr

Make sure you do the knee mobility series

Blairbob

 I never got to see the knee series besides a tidbit.

 I start off beginners with just holding the bottom of the SLS with an assist of some kind. On rings or holding a rope, parallel bars (rails or standards), pommel horse, whatever.

 

 So basically focusing on ankle flexibility as is knee flexibility and balance.

 

 I really like the goblet squat nowadays though.

 

 I also prefer the SLS with the free leg just hanging, generally while done on a block or box of some kind to the pistol-SLS.

Primate

I don't think we did a knee mobility series as we did for wrists and shoulders in Canberra, unless you mean the mobility exercises paired to each PE, in which case I was not neglecting them.

Cory Fair
Primate said:

I don't think we did a knee mobility series as we did for wrists and shoulders in Canberra, unless you mean the mobility exercises paired to each PE, in which case I was not neglecting them.

 

They are the same thing--the knee series was simply broken up into various Mobility Elements.

Primate

Okay, from what I know of my knees and th history of this type of pain, I'm putting this down to the natural leg extensions. I've had this pain before from a similar style of exercise. It never feels like a strain at the time, but follows with about three weeks of not being able to bend the knees without severe pain. So should I skip these altogether or just try a massively reduced volume and not move past this PE stage?

Joshua Naterman

I wouldn't bother with those until you are flexible enough to lay down in the bottom position with your hips between your heels. That means hips on the ground, with little to no arch in the back. 

 

You could even use a platform to lay on between your heels as a progression, which is pretty easy to set up with books or a few 2x6 boards.

 

If you're already fairly tight in the quads/hip flexors, AND you're trying NLE, I am not surprised that you are having issues with the knees.

 

I would start with 1 rep, 1 set, partial ROM, and go from there. First get to full ROM, then start adding reps one set at a time per workout.

 

It sounds tedious, but take it slow with this stuff and you should be ok.

Blairbob

 To recant, I did see the knee series but not the hip series. Doh. It's in my notes from May 2010. Not sure if you still use the same exercises.

Coach Sommer

- Glad to hear that you are feeling so much better.

 

- In regards to the SLS work, my advice is to massively reduce your volume.  Also it is not necessary to do all of the PE prior to the one that you are currently working.  Just select one or two to use for a light warmup.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nic Branson

I have knee issues from old injuries. As Coach said cut your volume way down. Maybe training them once a week or every other week. Depending on what is going on in there you may need the time. If one movement hurts, try another. With joint issues there could be a PE phase that is contra indicated due to causing acute pain or just plain inability due to damage. Don't be afraid to go as low as a a couple singles and stop for the day, see how the knees feel later.