This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Race to the Manna...

Started by Scott Malin, December 4, 2008 · 15 Replies · 1,602 Views

Scott Malin

I've been working on the progressions for a bit, but it hasn't been much of a focus. Developing a manna is on my list of major skills to get, therefore I'm proposing a [friendly] race. So post your starting point here (where on the progressions and how long you can hold it) and log every couple of weeks your progress, as well as any training tips you come find/develop on this journey.

Ready, set, go!

1) Elevated bent leg middle split hold

2) Low straight leg middle split hold

3) Middle split hold

4) Elevated middle split hold

5) Manna

I'll post my own stats on it as soon as I'm back from class :)

Blairbob

Steven Low is probably gonna put this back into his training. He might comment on it on his log over at PerformanceMenu.

Richard Duelley

I am currently at the MSH Low with straight legs (number 2).

After 2 weeks of doing it I no longer have my glutes resting on my arms :D I still lean back and lean on my lats a little, but every time I work them I try to pull my hips forward and get as much weight off my lats as I can. Also, the extreme hip flexor cramps are nonexistent until the last 10 seconds or so of my 60 seconds of hold time, and then they still are not as bad as they used to be. I am holding for a solid 5 seconds, no movement in the legs or anything.

I am doing the Steady State training (started the rotation this week) so it will be about 8 weeks until I try to move on the MSH.

chauinc

Ah I'll join in this race too, I always try to get my friends into this stuff so i can race them but they think it's too crazy. Currently i got nothing for manna!

ryantherobot

I'm game, I've never once started the Manna Progression so I'm on step 1. No doubt I'll be one of the slower ones because my other training will take priority but it will keep me pushing.

game on gentlemen.

braindx

Yeah, I'm working on this now.. for probably about 2 months now.

1. Started out with a vert V-sit.

2. Reversed hands which sent me back into the stone age to MSH progression. Could barely get my legs off the ground half the time in the lean + straddle.

3. Since then been working on getting MSH into elevated MSH + some of my own exercises

This is what I got so far.. probably when fresh I can hold ~45 past vert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVdb53uJMVw

ryantherobot

Just thought I'd update. Had the ability to get on YouTube, a rare occassion for me, and looked up the Middle Split Hold for Manna Progression because I wasn't exactly understanding the instructions. Figured out the legs go in front of the hands not behind and gave it my first attempt today. I can hold for about 3 seconds but not nearly a split... as wide as I can for sure though in this position. I can go a tad wider and can almost do a full straddle just not without gravity to help. I'll have to do it facing a wall and push my hips up to it for a while to assist getting the straddle a bit better.

I guess its been about a month or two, hope you all are still working for this and making good progress.

Ortprod

Nice job Steve!

I think I have a higher MSH (hips off hands) but I haven't seen much progression on it lately. Not as much as with my other statics at least. I am thinking of switching my hands even if I have to start from the beginning again. Keep this thread alive.

Farago316

I just started my first steady state cycle 2 weeks ago and achieving the manna is one of my long term goals. I practice 4 times a week with 6 sets of 10 seconds holds. I'm currently in the MSH with my hips about 1-2 inch elevated from my hands. Maximal contraction for every second has made a huge difference.

Richard Duelley

I have been focusing more on planche, handstand (ie press handstands) and basic ring work and have not had much time to dedicate to manna practice. :(

braindx

Worked myself up to 60 degrees past vertical....

But I haven't been able to get much quality reps recently so I'm back down to like only 30-45ish degrees past vertical.

I need to stretch out my shoulders more as well. Lats/chest are tight which are prohibiting me from retracting my scapulae well and pushing my hips forward.

Hayden Whealing

think i might give this skill a go. at the MSH progression and can hold it for about 10 seconds

Joshua Naterman

do you think this skill is even possible for a 225 lb 6'2 guy? Manna is my kryptonite thus far :P I can't even support flat on the ground. I work at the end of the p-bars, but it seem s like it's more L or V-sit work. Any tips? Should I be working floor supports fingers back or forwards? Does it matter for Manna?

matthew.percussion

Have you checked out the book yet?

On floor correct technique dictates that thumb is forward, fingers behind you.

Blairbob

Dunno, the article for manna is free so check it out. fingers optional though i think the article has it go fingers pointing behind you.

Joshua Naterman

I own the book :P But just as there are different hand positions for the planche, I thought perhaps people would have input on the Manna as well. I have to capitalize it, you know. It's that hard.