Full Planche Press To Handstand Form Check

Started by pinoyako, December 4, 2012 · 13 Replies · 6,112 Views

pinoyako

Current Progress:

 



This was from 4 weeks ago:

 



I know I need to work on opening my shoulders - they're so stiff.

I've been working on them for about 6 weeks, twice a week, after I got 2 - 3 seconds full planche. From my experience, 2 - 3 seconds is the bare minimum. It's just a matter of leaning forward and bringing your legs up. Of course I need to learn how to hold a handstand too lol.

Maltese leans are extremely hard for me. I did not focus on planche push ups either, so now I have to make up for it next year.
 
'B1214N said:
I also like to attempt floor malteses with the body very close to the floor and I feel noticeably more tendon and elbow stress in those than the hands backwards planche.

As for the planche push-ups, I cannot do them, not even a good one in straddle. I think it was because I relied too much on straight arm work for planche and did hardly any PPP or planche progression push-ups. I do know that planche push-ups can be done with the fingers back and also on rings. I also can't do a full planche press handstand because I don't have my HS yet :(. How many seconds of a static planche do you think is needed for a planche press handstand or planche push-up? Also, do you feel the hands backwards planche is a lot harder to balance than sideways or forwards?


I asked VassTheSuperSaiyan:

 

 

'vassili said:
12 seconds


Carucyn can hold it for 9 seconds in the video and he has impeccable form:



B1214N

That was actually pretty good, almost perfect. You just need to have a straighter planche. Do you think you could also planche press to HS with full ROM from support on PB? Can you hold a handstand in general? Also, have you ever needed to condition your wrists for hands sideways/PB planche at first; because my wrists hurt a lot when I try to planche with that hand placement.

 

Thanks for asking Vassili on the duration of the planche needed for a planche push-up. I've always thought it was around 10 seconds.

 

About the floor maltese, it is very hard, but if you have a good hands backwards planche then you will be somewhat close to one or a straddle one at least. You have to squeeze the ground very hard with your arms to generate the tension necessary to help push. I've done a 2 second straddle floor maltese before and some times even a super brief pause from a full maltese attempt. 

Joshua Slocum

Your back is very rounded in the press. Come to a full planche before you start pressing.

pinoyako
jfslocum said:

Your back is very rounded in the press. Come to a full planche before you start pressing.

What do you think of this attempt?

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ltDGhPjrcY

Joshua Slocum

Much improved!

If you're looking to slightly bump up the difficulty, you can try to lean into the planche and then hold it for 2 seconds before continuing the press.

B1214N

As said, it's more improved, but you're still not fully straight at the planche and you straighten out at a higher angle. Try to get into a fully straight planche before pressing.

Yaad Mohammad

You lose your hollow positition as soon as you press up, this is because you follow your legs, but you should coordinate the movement with only leaning backwards. Sounds weird, but just try to go into the full planche and do nothing else but try to maintain balance and leaning back. Keep your body as hollow as possible, matter o' fact, don't do anything at all. Maintain the full planche posture and ONLY use your shoulders to go into the handstand.

FredInChina

Very nice! :)

If I tried this today, I would die! :D

DieKatze
Yaad Mohammad said:

You lose your hollow positition as soon as you press up, this is because you follow your legs, but you should coordinate the movement with only leaning backwards. Sounds weird, but just try to go into the full planche and do nothing else but try to maintain balance and leaning back. Keep your body as hollow as possible, matter o' fact, don't do anything at all. Maintain the full planche posture and ONLY use your shoulders to go into the handstand.

 

exactly. look at your shoulder angle when you begin the movement: ideally it should be the only thing changing. just take a look at seconds 06 and 08 in you first video to see what i mean. your shoulder angle didnt change but you are much further into the press.

 

impressive nevertheless :)

B1214N
DieKatze said:

exactly. look at your shoulder angle when you begin the movement: ideally it should be the only thing changing. just take a look at seconds 06 and 08 in you first video to see what i mean. your shoulder angle didnt change but you are much further into the press.

 

impressive nevertheless :)

This is a very old thread. The OP here has been banned so he won't be responding to you. He has shown me a video of him doing a full planche press with almost no arch so he has improved a lot.

DieKatze

dang it didnt notice that. do you mind sharing the video?

B1214N

The video is unlisted so I will have to ask his permission. If you want to see a nearly perfect full planche press then I can show you 2 other videos.

clincher
B1214N said:

The video is unlisted so I will have to ask his permission. If you want to see a nearly perfect full planche press then I can show you 2 other videos.

I'd be interested in those 2 other videos. OP's back did seem to lose its hollow and he ended up in a very curved HS at the end (and going over pretty much every time it seemed, heh), but it's the best I've seen.