This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A Beginner's Workout Log

Started by OliveStripling, December 4, 2012 · 23 Replies · 183 Views

OliveStripling

Hey All,

My name is Jonathan and I am taking the plunge into gymnastics and bodyweight training as my primary form of strength training. I bought Building the Gymnastic Body quite some time ago but never really gave the program my all.

About two weeks ago however, I started a steady state cycle using many of the basic progressions and will be sticking to it for another 6 weeks. My purpose here is to log my workouts and any mobility, prehab/rehab, and flexibility work I do throughout the week.

As I said earlier, I am a humble beginner, and am completely open to any criticism and suggestions for my routine. My static strength goals are being able to hold a strong handstand away from the wall, the l-sit, the planche, and the back lever for now. In addition, I am working on pistol squats, pullups, ring pushups, regular dips, and others that I will mention below.

That being said, I'll start off by logging what I did today, and will continue tomorrow with the first workout of this week.

12/3/12

Today's Session

To work on some imbalance issues:

3x10 seconds super bird dog

3x10 seconds 1 legged planks

Flexibility

1) 3 sets of isometric side splits, holding the last set for 30 seconds in the contracted position (a method discussed in Stretching Scientifically, by Thomas Kurz)

2) 3 sets of isometric front splits, holding the last set for 30 seconds

3) 3x30 seconds Lying hamstring stretch with band (single leg)

4) 3x30 seconds side split stretch

5) 3x30 seconds HIp abductors stretch

6) 3x30 hip flexor stretch.

I'll be back tomorrow to update. If anyone has any comments, please feel free to post them.

Thanks.

OliveStripling

Workout 1:

 

A1 5x10 second wall handstands - facing wall.  Only seconds away from the wall are counted

A2 4x15 Back Lever Tuck on rings

A3 6x10 Advanced Frog Stand on parallettes

A4 10x6 L-sits low on paralletes

 

B1 3x2 Sternum Pullups

B2 3x4 HePU feet on floor

B3 3x1 Pistol Squat

 

Notes:

 

B1 - The sternum pullups are very difficult.  Having a very hard time getting my chest to the bar.

B3 - I can actually do more pistols but I have noticed some imbalances between my right and left sides.  For some reason as I go down with my right leg, my right hip begins to rotate forward, pushing my knee towards the center of my body.  The movement just doesn't feel right on that side.  Will try to do more rehab exercises to fix this.

 

Also, anyone know of a good way to warmup for the planche exercises?  My first set of the advanced frog stand always kills my wrists.  I'm usually good to go after that, however.

 

Thanks.  Would appreaciate any feedback, suggestions and advice.  Will update again tomorrow.

OliveStripling

12/5

 

Flexibility
1) 3 sets of isometric side splits, holding the last set for 30 seconds in the contracted position
2) 3 sets of isometric front splits, holding the last set for 30 seconds
3) 3x30 seconds Lying hamstring stretch with band (single leg)
4) 3x30 seconds side split stretch

5) 3x30 hip flexor stretch.

6) 3x30 1 arm chest stretch

 

Will update tomorrow.

OliveStripling

12/7/12

 

Workout #2:

 

A1 5x10 seconds Wall Handstand

 

A2 4x15 Back Lever

 

A3 6x10 Advanced Frog Stand

 

A4 10x6 L-sit - low

 

B1 3x3 Ring Rows

 

B2 3x5 Ring Pushups

 

B3 3x5 Natural Leg Curls (Partial Reps)

 

Good workout today. All of the static positions felt very strong, especially the planche work. I have to say that when I began the steady state cycle I was a little skepitcal, but so far it seems to be working quite well. I am becoming a believer!

 

In the evening I did the following:

 

3 sets of Isometric side splits

 

3 sets of Isometric front splits

 

Again I am very receptive to any ideas or critiques of my program so please feel free to give me any pointers or advice you might think of. Thanks!

stefanhinote
How long can you do a handstand against the wall for, and how close are the wrists to the wall?

 

You may want to try the following before planche progressions if your wrists are hurting:
OliveStripling

My handstands are a little inconsistent.  Sometimes I can bring my toes off the wall and continuously hold a free handstand for 10 seconds, other times I have to go back and forth between the wall and freestanding until I add up 10 seconds total time with my feet away from the wall.  My wrists are not too far from the wall, maybe 6 inches or so.

 

Thanks for the video!  I watched it and will try some of the movements before my next workout.

stefanhinote

I'm asking against the wall, not freestanding. :)

 

Reason I ask is it sounds like your skipping wall handstands entirely, and attempting to train on freestanding handstands with the wall as a helper, but may not be ready for that yet.

 

6" sounds reasonable if your using the wall as a helper to get into a freestanding HS, but for general HS training against the wall you definitely want to be closer.

OliveStripling

Against the wall I'm pretty sure I could do 45-60 seconds.  I was practicing wall handstands for quite some time before I moved to the ones I am currently doing.

 

I am only using the wall as a helper. There are times where I can hold the handstand longer than 10 seconds too, but I always cut it off there since I am trying to stick with the Steady State Cycle.

stefanhinote

Just wanted to make sure you could indeed spend some significant time against the wall. I'm in the same position as you, but chosen to continue wall HS closer to the wall + more time, and it definitely transfers over to freestanding time.

 

Hope the video helps with the wrists. 

OliveStripling

Workout 3:

 

A1 5x10 second wall handstands - facing wall.  Only seconds away from the wall are counted

A2 4x15 Back Lever Tuck on rings

A3 6x10 Advanced Frog Stand on floor

A4 10x6 L-sits low on paralletes

 

B1 3x2 Sternum Pullups

B2 3x10 second Dip Support Hold on Rings

B3 3x5 PB dips

B4 3x6 Bulgarian Split Squats

 

Today was the first day I tried the Pland on the floor and I really felt it in my wrists - almost to the point where I felt I had to stop, but I managed to finish.

Gavin S

Mate, don't fight through the pain. Listen to it.

 

If your wrists are killing you this early into a SSC then you have too much volume and intensity. Back off, and start prepping your wrists for the work. It takes weeks and weeks to get the wrist pain out once it has really set in.

OliveStripling

I guess I'll go back to the parallettes for the time being.  I don't have wrist pain with these.  I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to get the wrist strength to perform the planche on the floor without actually practicing on the floor.

IcedDante

Great post: you seem to have a good head for this stuff: far more advanced knowledge than your average beginner.

 

The thing that would help me with wrist pain was wearing the wrist braces at night while sleeping. Really holds your wrists in a neutral position and gives them a chance to rest. Then when they are back in good shape make sure stretch and warm up your wrists very well before a workout.

 

Once I started getting good at wrist pushups I haven't had an issue since.

 

I have the same issue with Single Leg Squats as you. My left leg is terrible.

OliveStripling
IcedDante said:

Great post: you seem to have a good head for this stuff: far more advanced knowledge than your average beginner.

 

The thing that would help me with wrist pain was wearing the wrist braces at night while sleeping. Really holds your wrists in a neutral position and gives them a chance to rest. Then when they are back in good shape make sure stretch and warm up your wrists very well before a workout.

 

Once I started getting good at wrist pushups I haven't had an issue since.

 

I have the same issue with Single Leg Squats as you. My left leg is terrible.

Yeah I'm trying my best to search around the forums and try the methods others have had success with.  I actually haven't had any wrist pain this morning even though yesterday's workout was pretty harsh on them.  They feel fine today.

 

Yeah, I'm still trying to figue out the leg imbalance issue.  If you stumble upon anything that works let me know.

OliveStripling

12/11/12

 

Today I felt a little beat so I just did a few auxillary exercises for the shoulders:

 

2.75x3x10 Incline Bench Rear Delt Flys (2.75 is the weight being used)

2.75x3x10 Incline Bench Y's

3x10 Incline Bench PVC Y's

 

I have noticed that I really lack development in my lower traps and am thinking this is what is causing some of my postural problems, as well as minor shoulder pain with certain exercises.  My scapulae are anteriorly tilted and slightly elevated when I stand in normal posture.  I have seen improvements in the last few weeks with some of the supplemental exercises and spending less time in front of the computer.

 

If anyone has any advice on correcting shoulder issues I'd be grateful to hear it.

 

Will be back tomorrow to log another workout.

Keilani Gutierrez

I seperated my shoulder when i was 15 and the scapular mobility drills before doing my workout have helped me immensely. i start fresh and end relatively fresh(i've been completing my workouts now with less and less failure on the dips depending on how I warm up my shoulder)

straight arm pull downs, shoulder dislocates, whippets and scapular pushups. i do sets of 10 and be as mindful as you can about the movement, it helps!

Cannister

About your wrists - Add the wrist portion (first half) of

to your workout after your warmup before you get into planche or handstand work.

 

The kids who do these exercises don't have really great form - for an example with cleaner form watch the beginning of this video.

 

Since adding this to my routine I have felt much more stable on my wrists.  You should really perform this routine every day for the best results.

OliveStripling
KeilaniG said:

I seperated my shoulder when i was 15 and the scapular mobility drills before doing my workout have helped me immensely. i start fresh and end relatively fresh(i've been completing my workouts now with less and less failure on the dips depending on how I warm up my shoulder)

straight arm pull downs, shoulder dislocates, whippets and scapular pushups. i do sets of 10 and be as mindful as you can about the movement, it helps!

Sounds like Ido Portal's routine.  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks.

OliveStripling
Cannister said:

About your wrists - Add the wrist portion (first half) of

to your workout after your warmup before you get into planche or handstand work.

 

The kids who do these exercises don't have really great form - for an example with cleaner form watch the beginning of this video.

 

Since adding this to my routine I have felt much more stable on my wrists.  You should really perform this routine every day for the best results.

 

I do some of the things shown in that video before every workout and have seen improvements in wrist strength as a result.  I will try some of the others things in there as well.

 

Thanks.

Keilani Gutierrez
OliveStripling said:

Sounds like Ido Portal's routine. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

that's exactly what it is, and also focusing on each pause when I do the movements has been beneficial. hope you have success in what you're looking for
OliveStripling

12/12/12

 

Workout:

 

Workout 1:

 

A1 5x10 second wall handstands - facing wall.  Only seconds away from the wall are counted

A2 4x15 Back Lever Tuck on rings

A3 6x10 Advanced Frog Stand on parallettes

A4 10x6 L-sits low on paralletes

 

B1 3x2 Sternum Pullups

B2 3x4 HePU feet on floor

B3 3x1 Pistol Squat

 

Notes:

 

The Single legged squats are feeling better on my right side.  Hopefully I am working out some of those muscle imbalances.  Pullups feel a bit stronger as well.  Handstands are also feeling a little more solid.  All in all I am happy with my progress.

OliveStripling

12/14

 

Workout #2:

 

A1 5x10 seconds Wall Handstand

A2 4x15 Back Lever

A3 6x10 Advanced Frog Stand

A4 10x6 L-sit - low

 

B1 3x3 Ring Rows

B2 3x5 Ring Pushups

B3 3x5 Natural Leg Curls (Partial Reps)

OliveStripling

Was out of town over the weekend so I missed a day of training but I did manage to get a nice hike in while I was there.  Worked out today and had a pretty great workout.  Feeling stronger each time.

 

Today's Workout:

 

Workout 3:

 

A1 5x10 second wall handstands - facing wall.  Only seconds away from the wall are counted

A2 4x15 Back Lever Tuck on rings

A3 6x10 Advanced Frog Stand on floor

A4 10x6 L-sits low on paralletes

 

B1 3x2 Sternum Pullups

B2 3x10 second Dip Support Hold on Rings

B3 3x5 PB dips

B4 3x6 Bulgarian Split Squats

 

Dip Support Holds seemed fairly tough today.  I may have had the straps a little lower than last time.  Everything else feels good though, especially the Adv Frog Stand.  All the pain in my wrists and elbows has subsided.  I think my joints are getting stronger and the steady state cycle is allowing them to steadily develop.  I think coach sommer mentioned this was one of the goals of steady state cycle training - allowing the joints enough time to strengthen so that one can progress to more difficult variations in the future.  Seems to be working well so far.

OliveStripling

12/20/12

 

 

Workout 1:

 

A1 5x10 second wall handstands - facing wall.  Only seconds away from the wall are counted

A2 4x15 Back Lever Tuck on rings

A3 6x10 Advanced Frog Stand on parallettes

A4 10x6 L-sits low on paralletes

 

B1 3x2 Sternum Pullups

B2 3x4 HePU feet on floor

B3 3x1 Pistol Squat

 

Notes:

 

Single legged squats continue to improve.  I have been putting a fair amount of time into mobility work and and attempting to even out my right and left sides.  It appears to be working, albeit slowly.  Looking forward to May's seminar so I can find out more information on how to correct these types of problems.