This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scoliosis

Started by Sam Carr, December 3, 2012 · 2 Replies · 31 Views

Sam Carr

I developed scoliosis when I was like 15 and although it isn't that much (I'd have to go to my doctor and get the x-rays for the exact degree), the curve in my upper back (S-shaped) compacts everything in my right shoulder. This has caused lack of flexibility and tightness but it doesn't bother me as long as I stretch properly. I've been told it's not going to get any worse or prevent me from any exercise, but I'm worried it'll keep me from progressing through the mobility exercises because I may never be able to achieve a completely open shoulder angle or be able to perfectly execute some other drills as required for progressing through level certifications...

Joshua Naterman

You can learn proper mobility to a large extent, but it will take more time for you.

Just like it will take more time for me because of my shoulder issues.

Mobility is really all about muscle control, not so much about "flexibility" and when we are talking about "active flexibility" It is largely a function of muscle control as well.

All you can do is what you can do, but you'll want to focus specifically on scoliosis-correction work. It is very, very slow to show results and will probably take a fair bit of maintenance.

A gentle lift under the center of the curve so that the bottom of the concave is on the lift, perhaps a folded towel at first, that is held for about 30 minutes should do.

This is ideal for watching TV, as you can make use of your idle time in a productive way :)

Sam Carr
Joshua Naterman said:

A gentle lift under the center of the curve so that the bottom of the concave is on the lift, perhaps a folded towel at first, that is held for about 30 minutes should do.

This is ideal for watching TV, as you can make use of your idle time in a productive way :)

Do you mean placing the folded towel between my back where my spine curves and the wall and then leaning against it so that there is slight pressure pushing into it?