Due to a lot of people telling me that vegetarianism was unhealthy and that eating meat was so much better (for training) I decided to do a vegetarian experiment. In my opinion diet is a lot more about getting quality calories in instead of following some set up plan of eating weather it be paleo, vegetarianism or w/e other diet you choose to follow. People have been successful with a very large variety of diets and to say that one way of eating rules them all never made sense to me.
Month 1 - Learned some new cool recipes, saw absolutely no change in workout performance, mood or anything that I though might be effected by diet. I kept milk, cheese and eggs in but the majority of my calories came from brown rice, A TON of beans, sprouted ezekial bread, lots of avocados and different types of nuts. Body comp stayed relatively the same (means I didn't see any visible changes).
Month 2 - So after the first month and because I've struggled for a while getting back up to my weight of 160 lbs. after I got sick, I decided to go on a muscle gain to prove my point further. Staring weight was 148 lbs. ending weight 162.5 lbs. (over the course of 6 weeks). I did gain some fat and unfortunetly I did not do body fat measurements for exact figures but I started out with very visible abs. At 162.5 my abs are still clearly visible but I did gain a bit of fat over the lower abdominal section.
Supplements that I used were vitamin D, fishoil and vitamin b-12 (vegetarians are often deficient). I also took creatine for the second month for the weight gain and also once again since vegetarians are often deficient in it.
Edit:
Things I liked about vegetarian eating:
Meal prep time was literally halved, groceries were cheaper, getting in more calories was a lot easier (for me), trying out new dishes and recipes I never would have found or tried otherwise.
Things I didn't like:
Having to order tofu at a sushi restaurant when everyone else is pigging out on sushi ![]()