Hello fellow gymnasts,
I have been training gymnastics according to the "Btgb"-book for about 8 months now and have mostly been working on the fundamental exercises of static holds. Since then i've been making some nice progress in my perspective. Just to give a impression of the current strength level: L-sit 30 sec. V-sit about 8 sec. (altough im still trying to push the legs a little bit higher, but this will become better when flexibility increases), 15 sec tucked planche, about 6-8 seconds with a straight back (altough its quite hard for me to raise the hips higher than horizontal), and about 4 muscle ups on the rings.
I read that being able to perform a solid back lever is a prerequisite for performing a planche. Last week i decided to start working on that back lever to build core strength. I took the position of the german hang and tried to estabilish a back lever with the legs tucked. When i placed my arms the back lever position and started pulling something went wrong. I think i have been straining my arms too hard. My arms went numb and after training my squeezing power was gone. The next day that squeezing power came back thankfully, but it still feels like i've hit my elbows and my bicep contracts involuntary in my left arm (spasms).
I've taken some rest after that, and i think this has something to do with the ulnar nerve. I was quite sceptical about going to training next week, but i tried it, took it easy and it actually made it feel a little bit better.
What would be the best way to go from here? Going in the back lever position is quite hard on my arms. But building the core strength required to improve my advanced tucked planche will be hard now. Is there any other way of building that specific core strength? (the back lever seems like the ideal core strength builder for planche). Or should i carefully try the back lever again?