Pain In Wrist

Started by _micha_, November 26, 2012 · 3 Replies · 3,616 Views

_micha_

Hey,

the last three weeks I worked out 4 times a week with a steady state training cycle.

For every FBEs session I worked on my FSPs.

My schedule looks like this.

FPEs: 10 sets of advanced frog stand, tucked l-sit, freestanding handstand (with wall) and straddle L on PB.

Every set I start with frog stand, then l-sit, handstand, straddle l and I hold every position for 4 breaths wich is around 8s. After that I take a rest 45s and then I do the next set. I continue with that until I reach the 10th set.

After that I take a two minute break.

Then I do 5 sets of different FBEs with a maximum of 5 reps.

For Day 1 it looks like this: 5 x 3 tuck front lever rows, 5 x 5 head bridges, 5 x 5 close fingertip pushups

Day 2: 5x5 dead hang pullups, 5x5 pistols, 5x4 Dips

Day 3: is the same like day 1

Day 4 is the same like day 2

Since my last workout I have pain in my right wrist. I know that I have done to much work. I want to know what to do now. Rest at first, okay. Should I quit my work on ore two of the FSPs or change my straddle L and L sit work to FL ans BL work?

JN12

I would lay of the frog stand and the handstand work (l-sit too if you work it on the floor) and basically every movement that aggravates the pain till it is gone. Then slowly ease back into this and start working on coach sommer's wrist routine (it is somewhere here).

Believe me, rest! I've been there and didn't rest immediately :facepalm: for the next half year i couldn't do anything on my hands! and that really sucks!

Joshua Naterman

I think that 10 sets is too much for you right now, and probably too much period. I will never recommend more than 5 sets for that kind of work. You could certainly pick one thing to focus on, which should be handstand right now, and do 7-10 sets of that but 10 sets of everything is too much.

Do you realize that you are effectively doing 40 sets on your hands? If you had a longer training history and built up to that slowly, it would probably be ok at some point but not for a long while.

This one change will have you doing 15 sets fewer with your hands. That's almost a 50% decrease in volume and that will probably go a long way towards protecting you from further injury.

_micha_

thanks for your answers. I think I will take a complete rest for the week cause actually it is hard for me to lift something only with my right hand. Then I will start working on again on frog stand and handstand and I will change straddle L and L-sit for FL and BL. I will do only 7 sets not more. What do you think about that?