Parallettes Vs. Handstand Blocks/canes

Started by u3er, November 22, 2012 · 5 Replies · 7,565 Views

u3er

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to make some gear this week and am wondering which is better for handstand training: parallettes or blocks. I need something that will be good for hand balancing (2 handed for now) AND stalder press + static training (planche, l-sit, elbow levers, etc.). For the experienced hand balancers out there - which do you prefer for a general training tool and why?

Thanks!

Damo

For handstand balancing, parallettes can't be beaten.

But (personally) I find things like stalder presses easier on the floor than on parallettes. That's simply because of my mediocre strength.

stefanhinote

You may find it easier on the wrists to train planche on paralletes, though your wrists may then become a hindrance later on.

For handstand work I would imagine blocks would be easier because you can use your fingers and palms for balancing vs paralletes.

Note: I'm no expert.

stefanhinote

Edit I missed the canes part, so what I posted isn't quite relevant.

u3er

Thanks guys - maybe I'll just have to make a set of both :)

Vagabond

I think the best for you right now would indeed be parallettes. You can start using the canes much later, and remember to use the ground a lot too, and eventually, if you can, the rings!