Rope Climbing

Started by Alessandro Mainente, November 20, 2012 · 40 Replies · 23,558 Views

Alessandro Mainente

Hi guys, what is the best measure/diameter for a rope?

thanks

ausswe

I believe coach said 1.5 inch was a good size but it seems to me it could be beneficial to train with different sizes every now and then. Maybe go for a 2 inch or 1 inch and mix it up sometimes =) In the end im not sure it really makes a huge difference what size. try a couple of different sizes and Go for what ever size is harder for you as you will be training your weakness then ;).

Ian G Myers

Also, is there any difference between expensive climbing manila rope and the cheaper manila rope I can get at Home depot?

ausswe

I wouldn't know personally I have never heard of home depot before but It seems odd that the same kind of rope would have such a big price difference. try google or asking someone at home depot. to me it seems like there shouldn't be much concern if there is a difference i dont think it will be that important.

Marian Cerny

I'm just looking for a rope for training no leg climbing and I'm not sure what to look at. I'll be using it outdoors on trees. 

 

I found this one - looks fine and is pretty cheap as well. What do you think ?

karimoo

1.5'' is the standard for climbing ropes.  Don't get 2'' unless you've got a very developed grip and/or are proficient at climbing the 1.5'' already.  I bought my rope from a textiles warehouse near my house.  It's not uber high quality in terms of finish, but it's more than strong enough.  Usually they are rated for 1000+ lbs, but just check with your supplier before buying so you know for sure.

Coach Sommer

1.5" is best for GST.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Brisgym

I just contacted this seller and he said the rope has a 7cm diameter.  That is about 2.75"...way too big.

 

Marian Cerny said:

I'm just looking for a rope for training no leg climbing and I'm not sure what to look at. I'll be using it outdoors on trees. 

 

I found this one - looks fine and is pretty cheap as well. What do you think ?

rsims

Normally any rigging company or freight warehouse carries multiple length and width manila rope.  I purchased mine for around $36 for thirty feet (1.5 in) .  In response to Ian, the bare manila rope may be rougher but it serves its purpose for cirques or general climbing.  

spyro7800

I found one I like with diameter 35mm (1.38"). Do you guys think I should rather look for one 1.5" or will 1.38" suffice? I think I will not feel the difference. It is really difficult to find climbing rope in Slovakia...and it will cost

me 3 times less than to order from rogue :)

Jon Douglas

I asked once or twice but haven't heard an answer back--- how does climbing a vertical pole compare to rope?

Joshua Naterman

I find rope to be harder. There were climbing poles out in Huntington Beach when I lived there, at one of the middle schools down the street, and it's definitely easier than the rope. It also hurts more when your manly parts are in contact, and will burn your hands and thighs in the summer if it's in the sun :P

Jon Douglas

Hmmm. I find a rope easier than a bar on the wrists, but haven't actively tried to compare the efforts. But for these purposes, rope for sure?

 

Joshua Naterman said:

I find rope to be harder. There were climbing poles out in Huntington Beach when I lived there, at one of the middle schools down the street, and it's definitely easier than the rope. It also hurts more when your manly parts are in contact, and will burn your hands and thighs in the summer if it's in the sun :P

rubadub
Brisgym said:

I just contacted this seller and he said the rope has a 7cm diameter.  That is about 2.75"...way too big.

He may have meant a 7cm circumference, which is 0.877inch dia. It seems too cheap for 5m x 2.75" rope, if the photo is the actual rope then the metal connector bit must be huge if 2.75". Also you would think he would make a point of how thick it is, if it is skinny he would not openly advertise the fact.

 

My 65foot of 40mm dia manila was £68 incl. delivery off ebay.co.uk with no connector. When I hang off it the diameter decreases below 40mm.

FredInChina
Charm said:

(...) how does climbing a vertical pole compare to rope?

 

I don't know Charm, but this caught my attention: :)

 

 

and that too:

 

Jon Douglas

Lovely. Back when I was just beginning cirque I had a friend who was world-class on Chinese pole-- always liked it, although I've never been much chop at it myself; wouldn't mind re-approaching it recreationally with newfound GST conditioning...

 

Never actually seen anyone working the wrestling pole in person, although I've always found it interesting; like the rings, I love the simplicity of such an implement that gives such ludicrously good conditioning return on investment..

Mithrandir

Hey!

I got an interesting idea, may also be a lot of fun. What about something a bit like ring training o climbing ropes? Two ropes hanging about PB (or whatever you prefer) distance apart. you could do some of the ring elements on them, the levers for example. I have seen a muscle up on (thin) ropes on Beastskills. maybe work on it to a slow MU (if thats possible)

You could do a lot on them and have extreme grip training. FL, BL, MU... and maybe if you take it a bit further Planche, Maltese, Victorian (if you take it A LOT further!) What do you think? :)

Christian

At the Barcelona seminar we had ropes set up like that and dillon did rope climb while in a FL between them. A local coach did 2 rope climb and back lever at the top.

Jon Douglas
Christian said:

At the Barcelona seminar we had ropes set up like that and dillon did rope climb while in a FL between them. A local coach did 2 rope climb and back lever at the top.

Double rope climb in FL? There's one I've not seen before.

At the Oz institute of sport the gymnasts do some very cool double rope climbs; some of them get very close to consecutive full OAC's.

Nic Branson

Double rope FL. Ok gotta try that next time. Regular double rope climb is easy for me. New challenge time. That and really offsetting the pulls for almost pure OAC's.

Laurén Salemi

do gymnastic gyms have ropes? Also can someone just pay a monthly fee to use a gymnastics gym and all their equipment? Or how would it work?

Daniel Burnham
Laurén Salemi said:

do gymnastic gyms have ropes? Also can someone just pay a monthly fee to use a gymnastics gym and all their equipment? Or how would it work?

Any good one should. Usually adults cannot train in gymnastic gyms. Although there are some that offer adult gymnastic classes.

rubadub

One near me has adult classes, or you can just go and use the equipment without lessons if they know you do not need supervision. It can be a pay as you go option too.

 

Be careful if buying rope, if it is specified as 1.5" it is far more likely to be under that size than under. My rope was said to be 40mm diameter, it measured 38mm (1.5") and when taut with my weight it was 32mm (1 1/4")