Foam Rolling

Started by Gaben18, November 19, 2012 · 8 Replies · 3,506 Views

Gaben18

Does strching take care of you enough? Or do you guys Foam roll? If so how often?

Joshua Naterman

I was wondering about that thing! I tried it out in a store and it seemed pretty legit. I suppose I'll have to save up for a rumble roller now.

I need to get back into this... just now getting into a regular stretch routine!

Gaben18

Ha Alright. That rumble roller looks like it kills!

Cannister

What is this rumble roller you speak of? When kind of areas do you work with the foam roller? I've heard good things but I just don't know enough about what it can do - I might need to get my hands on one and do some more research...

u3er

I'll second that the Rumble Roller is way better (and way more intense) than any roller you have ever used. It works especially well when you roll slowly with it, as the little nubs penetrate the muscle deeply and also create some shear force that will really help to 'tear' scar tissue apart. The regular (blue) firmness is, in my opinion, all you could ever need.

Nic Branson

Rumble roller kicks ass. That is all.....

u3er

You can also start off with just a lacrosse ball (or something similar like a tennis ball or dog toy, though a lacrosse ball really is best due to its size and hardness).  It is much cheaper than any foam roller and is actually much more intense for most SFMR techniques. 

 

Also, if you haven't already done so, go check out this website NOW!  www.mobilitywod.com

Cannister

I've been to mobility WOD and spent some time watching the videos there - but the problem I have is that there's just too much to sort through there - I'm looking for a known working routine to:

1) Help open my shoulders

2) Straighten my right elbow (which I've pretty much found) as it is kind of "stuck" bent.

3) Anything else that I might not think is important now, but will find it beneficial with a regular Killroy program.

But the shoulders - they're so complex I don't really know where to start with rollers/lacrosse balls.

AlexX

I just use a pvc pipe. I try to do some serious pvc pipe rolling 2x per week with stretching, and I'll do it daily for problem areas when healing an injury.