Basic Skills?

Started by Navi Guerra, November 17, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,581 Views

Navi Guerra

I am new to the sport and it is really fun but I dont know which skills/moves I should work on first.

I want to get better in all events so I need to build strength, flexibility, and technique. What should I work on to build the strength and flexibility and what skills should I work on in particular?

Blairbob

How to do a forward roll.

Basic Handstand stuff. Against a wall, the progressions of HS from Downward Dog position.

Cartwheel is not a bad thing as an escape to falling out of a HS and for body awareness.

Besides that, it all gets down to the ability to hang and support yourself with your upper body and to squat or lunge, run or jump.

Supporting yourself on your hands in a pushup and doing pushups or holds. Then doing this in a support position on Parallel Bars (or chairs or stools). Then dips with those. Supporting yourself on your hands while inverted. HS and then HSPU in time.

Pullups from horizontal to vertical to eventually rope climbs. Inverted hangs and eventually pullups in that fashion "Curls."

Besides that, the basic ability to hold the hollow and arch position and L.

Basic stretching is simple.

Bridge. Cat stretch, Pike, Straddle. Front and side split progressions. Butterfly stretch. Maybe seal stretch too.

Blairbob

Follow these and you'll find the other compulsory videos. L4 is the basic level. Actually L3 is but L3 is basically a dumbed down scaled back version of L4. You can also find older quaddrenium's compulsory L4 of past quads that look pretty similar.

Some of it isn't super basic, but it's pretty darn basic.

emos

^ excellent video! The others are great as well, really very good indeed.

Navi Guerra

Thanks that really helps!