Is there a general heuristic for how long the average WOD or static position training session should last? I'm starting to think that I'm resting a bit too much between static sets because I treat them as a skill and want each set to feel strong. Should I compress the rest intervals a bit (to say 10-15sec to have a drink of water and shake it out) or is it better to take one's time?
Wod/static Training Time
Started by Sven Ravnstag, November 13, 2012 · 8 Replies · 2,669 Views
Do you work all sets of the same static hold before moving to the next static hold?
I like to work my statics in pairs with a smaller rest time between each. That way I effectively double the amount of rest between sets of the same static hold but it keeps the total time taken down to a minimum.
Same as ^. I do hip flexor drills, assorted pushups, 30-40 sec Lsit/Straddle L/Pl lean, and then alternate FL and PL sets, *very* little slack time between sets. Done in 10-15 minutes at the most on waking up, then a cup of tea or coffee before WoD.
Generally the WoD rest times are prescribed; I found they took longer at first. They get shorter as you get better at scaling etc, its rare now for me to train longer than an hour at a bash including FSPs. Things like HSPU ladders while adjusting to elevated HeSPus though, they take forever >.< Hold faith and push yourself to step up at the appropriate time ![]()
Thanks for the replies.
Originally I did circuits of all five basic static positions, then I switched to doing all sets of one position before moving to the next. I think I'll try the two at a time idea and see how that goes. Maybe FL/L-Sit, Straddle-L/Planche, then BL on their own as I usually speed through those.
I'm going to see what happens as I compress the rest a bit as well. For starters I think I'll rest no longer than I work, so 10sec rest between sets at most.
So you are doing all five every training session?
Yes; that's what I thought was suggested in BTGB (4 times/week). I do the basic 5 fundamental statics before my WODs 4 times/week, and u I practice manna 1-2 times/week for 10 minute blocks, along with handstands (free) and PL leans on rings.
Dear! I'm starting to think that I'm resting a bit too much between static sets because I treat them as a skill and want each set to feel strong. Should I compress the rest intervals a bit (to say 10-15sec to have a drink of water and shake it out) or is it better to take one's time?I'm starting to think that I'm resting a bit too much between static sets because I treat them as a skill and want each set to feel strong. Should I compress the rest intervals a bit (to say 10-15sec to have a drink of water and shake it out) or is it better to take one's time?
the 5 skill circuits just suck. BTDT. I know you want to be time efficient but I'd circuit the basic 3 (levers and planche). pair HS or L's or do them in sequence.
I found you could do 3, but that was about as many as I'd want to do. The big 3 are taxing enough as it is without adding easier ones that just tax you more.
Blairbob said:the 5 skill circuits just suck. BTDT. I know you want to be time efficient but I'd circuit the basic 3 (levers and planche). pair HS or L's or do them in sequence.
I found you could do 3, but that was about as many as I'd want to do. The big 3 are taxing enough as it is without adding easier ones that just tax you more.
Are you saying do only the basic 3 per workout and HS and L's on another workout or just cycle through the basic 3 and pair HS and L's before the basic 3?