How To Implement Fsp, Fbe & Wod's In A Training Session?

Started by tcorgat, November 12, 2012 · 5 Replies · 3,234 Views

tcorgat

I know FSP's come first right after warmup and stretching. But after I'm done with them should I proceed with the Wod's and FBE's at the end, or the other way around?

Another question is: Are maybe, just the FSP's and WOD's enough, or are some extra FBE's necessary for maximum effect?

Jon Douglas

You have your well-planned-out (usually SSC) FSPs, plus ridiculously sophisticated WoD, and you want to add more work? Is there something in particular you want to focus on, like achieving a first OAC or CPPr? Or do you feel like the WoDs are missing one of your goals?

My 2c is to keep your head down and follow the FSP/WoD prescription at least until you're capable on the statics and starting to max out branches of the FBE's.

Having said that, I've found that 'threshold' exercises which are difficult to scale down, like getting my first muscle ups, FL Pulls and HSPU, benefitted from low-vol and more frequent focus when i was first feeling them out. It works for me to train FSPs and WoDs in the morning and G2G my priorities of the moment here and there, but the intention is always (for me) to stop the G2G and individual FBE focus once I have achieved the threshold and the exercise can be incorporated into the WoDs instead.

This stuff is addictive and it's tempting to just keep adding work. Unless you're a gymnast, in which case disregard my opinion and listen to the pros, keep your eye on the time-efficiency prize. 10 reverse muscle ups are going to have a much bigger effect on both str and physique than 10x10 pullups, and you can then train skills you now have the work capacity to put the time you saved into :)

tcorgat
Charm said:

You have your well-planned-out (usually SSC) FSPs, plus ridiculously sophisticated WoD, and you want to add more work? Is there something in particular you want to focus on, like achieving a first OAC or CPPr? Or do you feel like the WoDs are missing one of your goals?

My 2c is to keep your head down and follow the FSP/WoD prescription at least until you're capable on the statics and starting to max out branches of the FBE's.

Having said that, I've found that 'threshold' exercises which are difficult to scale down, like getting my first muscle ups, FL Pulls and HSPU, benefitted from low-vol and more frequent focus when i was first feeling them out. It works for me to train FSPs and WoDs in the morning and G2G my priorities of the moment here and there, but the intention is always (for me) to stop the G2G and individual FBE focus once I have achieved the threshold and the exercise can be incorporated into the WoDs instead.

This stuff is addictive and it's tempting to just keep adding work. Unless you're a gymnast, in which case disregard my opinion and listen to the pros, keep your eye on the time-efficiency prize. 10 reverse muscle ups are going to have a much bigger effect on both str and physique than 10x10 pullups, and you can then train skills you now have the work capacity to put the time you saved into :)

I was thinking about this, that's why I added the second question. For a while now I've been working chin-ups & pull-ups, trying to find my way into muscle-ups (It's really close) and eventualy OAC. I haven't been doing the WOD untill now, I just decided to start doing them, so I was wondering if I should add them to my routine, or replace my routine in favour of the WOD's. Well thanks a lot for your answer, and I'm gonna take your advice - focusing only on the FSP's and WOD.

Jon Douglas

Glad I could help. If you're brand new to the WoDs expect them to be pretty humbling at first, but it'll come together. I highly recommend keeping a log for those days you feel disappointed by not getting everything you set out to; helps a lot to see that you've raised your standards without realising it.

If a muscle-up is an immediate priority (and it sort of has to be for ring str days), then if I were you I would (and did) add a set of 5 false grip pullups to my regular warmup until I got a couple in a row. If you set the rings at a height that you can just reach on tip-toe at the bottom position of a dip then you can also pullup, toe-spot yourself as little as possible through the transition, then dip up and tuck your feet up to do a full negative. Keep the volume low and quality high, and save pushing it PBs for max strength days.

Good luck :)

tcorgat

Some great advises, thanks a lot. I'm really excited - tomorrow I'll be starting my first WOD.

tcorgat

Well, I did the WoD today (a little scaled down), and after I was done my body was refusing to even let me think about doing more exercises afterwards. It was really challenging, but I felt great once I completed it.