Renaming The Dynamic Strength Forum

Started by Coach Sommer, November 10, 2012 · 2 Replies · 3,196 Views

Coach Sommer

... The 'Dynamic Strength' forum title has been changed to 'Movement'. I thought this was a little strange and misleading, so it probably wasn't intentional? ...

The Dynamic Strength sub-forum has been, and continues to be, the most misunderstood of the GB strength components. The name change was intentional and more accurately reflects the hands-on work that we have been doing for this GB GST component during the GB seminars for many years now.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Micawberian
Coach Sommer said:

The Dynamic Strength sub-forum has been, and continues to be, the most misunderstood of the GB strength components. The name change was intentional and more accurately reflects the hands-on work that we have been doing for this GB GST component during the GB seminars for many years now.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

But, doesn't the term "movement" encompass other sub-forums too, like handstands, rings, mobility, and foundation? Aren't those all concepts that necessarily involve movement? I'll attribute this difference in our opinion to my not understanding the term "movement" from your perspective, considering that I have not been to a seminar or been involved in fitness to the great extent that you have.

But, it just seems very strange to me to title the sub-forum as "Movement: the most important and functional of all the Gymnastic Bodies training components" when from my outside perspective, this just makes no sense in regards to the other sub-forums if, as newcomers, we interpret movement as a general term for changing location in space. To a person who arrives at this website for the first time, I can see how this term could confuse them since they do not have your perspective. Maybe changing the sub-heading would help?

Forgive me, I'm not trying to start an argument. I just want to give you my $.02 on the matter.

Cole Dano
Shakyamuni said:

But, doesn't the term "movement" encompass other sub-forums too, like handstands, rings, mobility, and foundation? Aren't those all concepts that necessarily involve movement? I'll attribute this difference in our opinion to my not understanding the term "movement" from your perspective, considering that I have not been to a seminar or been involved in fitness to the great extent that you have.

But, it just seems very strange to me to title the sub-forum as "Movement: the most important and functional of all the Gymnastic Bodies training components" when from my outside perspective, this just makes no sense in regards to the other sub-forums if, as newcomers, we interpret movement as a general term for changing location in space. To a person who arrives at this website for the first time, I can see how this term could confuse them since they do not have your perspective. Maybe changing the sub-heading would help?

Forgive me, I'm not trying to start an argument. I just want to give you my $.02 on the matter.

By complete coincidence, I have a class where we do these dynamic elements, I call it Fundamental Gymnastic Movement. I believe this is if anything less confusing for a newcomer. One key element is the fact that the body is being transported from point A to point B in various unique ways.

It may just take some getting used to, but the term makes sense in the context of GB, and is often used in other gymnastic books I've seen for the same class of, well, movement.