Tuck Planche Or Yuck Stench? Straddle Or Waddle?

Started by jamesters, November 6, 2012 · 11 Replies · 3,531 Views

jamesters

The tuck feels comparably as difficult as the straddle to me. My hips often seem to be too high. I'll post both pictures and videos to compare, also different ways of entering into these skills on video. I'm focusing on protracting and depressing my scapula, but it's very difficult to do. I'm wondering if there are any flaws to my technique, and what I should do to progress from here.

19896901.jpg

10491356.jpg

xmFT3SMCxto

Blairbob

Hips are high in both.

Compare the arm/shoulder angle. They are nearly the same. This is because you straddle so wide with some piking at the hips. I'd also measure where are the hips are in relation to your head. It looks pretty close.

Aaron Griffin

Don't you also want an open straddle in a straddle planche? That seems quite closed at the hips

Blairbob

Ideally. Think of it as a work in progress.

Bare in mind a lot of straddle planches that are competed look like this. Generally horizontal but piked at hips. Just depends on how flexible your hips are.

Coach Sommer
Blairbob said:
... Bare in mind a lot of straddle planches that are competed look like this. Generally horizontal but piked at hips. Just depends on how flexible your hips are ...

This is incorrect on several counts:

1) A planche of this poor a quality will only be competed by mediocre athletes. Performed with this degree of pike in the hips the planche would incur .3 in deductions. That is .1 more in deductions than the skill is worth.

2) Hip extension in the straddle planche has not nearly as much to do with flexibility as it has to do with hip and glute strength.

A correctly executed straddle planche is an achievable goal by anyone of at least moderate athletic ability; provided the correct progressions and mobility work are performed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

Yes, I know this. I did the MAG judging course in 2010 in Socal. I did some judge training for WAG years ago before I decided it wasn't for me (WAG judging).

2) More flexibility in the hips makes the straddle planche easier. That is all I am saying. Quite evident in a lot of legit straddle planches performed by females. Allowing the hips pike also decreases the effective lever distance away from the body. Feet closer to body and it's easier. I aware of the hip/glute strength to keep the hip open. Also why I hate working straddle BL as it always creates a sharp pain in my right hip.

Coach Sommer
Blairbob said:
Yes, I know this. I did the MAG judging course in 2010 in Socal. I did some judge training for WAG years ago before I decided it wasn't for me (WAG judging).

2) More flexibility in the hips makes the straddle planche easier. That is all I am saying. Quite evident in a lot of legit straddle planches performed by females. Allowing the hips pike also decreases the effective lever distance away from the body. Feet closer to body and it's easier. I aware of the hip/glute strength to keep the hip open. Also why I hate working straddle BL as it always creates a sharp pain in my right hip.

- If you are aware of this, then please do not give out incorrect information.

- I disagree. Most female straddle planches possess an unacceptable degree of hip closure; despite their having superior straddle flexibility. Hence this 'hip closure' problem is not specifically due to a lack of flexibility.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob
Hence this 'hip closure' problem is not specifically due to a lack of flexibility.

Yes. It's a cheat since piking the hip makes it easier.

- If you are aware of this, then please do not give out incorrect information.

I simply stated they are competed with piked hips. I did not comment whether or not it was correct to do this.

Well, back to female straddle planches. I guess Jackie Bender's is probably the best I've ever seen on video.

Hers is probably the best I've seen but is not flawless as there is an arch in her lumbar. Still it is a straddle planche, just now flawless. Legit in the sense they are a straddle planche and can be given value credit. And deducted.

I'm not a fan of competing any skill with deductions that aren't worth it. Ugh. That's the coach in me not wanting to lose points for silly dumb deductions. I hate those.

jamesters

I notice I have big leg muscles. Will this skill still be possible for me?!?

Jon Douglas
Coach Sommer said:

A correctly executed straddle planche is an achievable goal by anyone of at least moderate athletic ability; provided the correct progressions and mobility work are performed.

Hold faith :)

Nic Branson
jamesters said:

I notice I have big leg muscles. Will this skill still be possible for me?!?

Absolutely. What I am seeing is a need to look at your active hip mobility and glute strength. Think about trying to squeeze your glutes and extend your hips ever so slightly to open from that pike. Small increments, you're likely to feel the muscles cramp like hell. Means you're on the right track.

Blairbob

Jamesters, I have seen some guys with really big legs do planche in those bodybuilding aerobics shows. Ex gymnasts, I believe. One was russian I think. Also huge in the upper body too, huge period.