43 y.o. Jump Height (Roundoff vs standing jump)

Started by kevp951, November 27, 2008 · 3 Replies · 2,240 Views

kevp951

Can anyone tell me how much higher a jump should be coming off a roundoff versus a standing jump using armswing? My vertical is 24 inches i think. In my lab if i reach/stretch as tall as i can toward the ceiling it is exactly 24 inches to the ceiling. I can take a hop and power off both feet with a strong armswing and just brush the ceiling with my fingertips. I'm 5'8" so i don't know how that compares to average? but i'm wondering what my roundoff jump height should be with a perfect execution, and if it would be more than a standing jump?

matthew.percussion

Wow, it's been a long time since I posted on here. :shock:

There are two different ways you can end a roundoff in my perspective. One was is with your feet behind you(if you were traveling left to right it would look something like' \ '), you would use this kind of landing if you were trying to do any sort of flip. When your feet land behind you physics will allow you to block off of the ground and go higher up into the air(I'm not the best at describing this but I will post a link to a video that describes it wonderfully). The other way to exit a roundoff is with your body over your feet(' | ') or even rotating a little further and landing with your feet in front of your body(' / '). The second way is more useful when connecting a roundoff to a back handspring or a back whip, anything that you don't need great height on.

I don't know how to tell exactly how much higher it should be but, if you watch anyone with a lot of experience they can get twice the height of their vertical, easy. I would venture to say it is possible to get 4x the height of your vertical if you block correctly.

Here is a video detailing blocking(it is worked more for people interested in tricking but it applies to gymnastics too):

This is a video of a triple back tuck out of a BHS but the same theory of blocking is applied to the BHS as to a RO:

kevp951

WOW thanks alot!!!!!

sasquatch

Thanks for the video, it made blocking make sence to me now.

When I go to the beach I slide down sand hills with my bodyboard and then I hit into a swelling wave, It takes my forward momentum and blasts me hi up into the air, same concept as blocking.