I'm in dire need of help on ring swings.
The back swing kinda hurts in the armpit. Let me know the errors of my way.
Started by Daniel Burnham, November 6, 2012 · 8 Replies · 2,106 Views
I'm in dire need of help on ring swings.
The back swing kinda hurts in the armpit. Let me know the errors of my way.
I definitely think that you haven't built up enough strength in the deep armpit scapulobrachial muscles like coracobrachialis specifically ![]()
I think we need Coach's advice here on how to proceed.
Joshua Naterman said:I definitely think that you haven't built up enough strength in the deep armpit scapulobrachial muscles like coracobrachialis specificallyI think we need Coach's advice here on how to proceed.
Totally agree. I'm not sure if its a matter of when and his i push down in the back swing or just simply a lack of strength.
It may be hard to tell from a video so I can take more on request.
How new are you to swings? You seem to have a bit of a jerk to your swing due to some slack in your shoulders on the swing. Your body is also a bit loose as you pike in the front and have flexed feet with a slight knee bend in the back swing (which I'm not exactly as upset about as the front swing).
A week or two ago, I decided to do some swings on the rings. Mainly I was testing a pair of synthetic vs wood rings and synthetic+tape.
It's probably been nearly 5 months since I've done any swings on rings. I've done a bit on a single rail (non-gymnastics) but noticed I did feel something was stretched around my armpit area on my left side. Just a month or two ago, a CF friend ended up tearing his lat off the humerus bone during some HB swings apparently. I don't know if he was swinging in straps or not. Bear in mind he is also a strong CFer. And I mean strong like a chimp. Beast. 100/120@85, can do flag. MU, ring HSPU, etc.
You also have some long arms, man.
Blairbob said:How new are you to swings? You seem to have a bit of a jerk to your swing due to some slack in your shoulders on the swing. Your body is also a bit loose as you pike in the front and have flexed feet with a slight knee bend in the back swing (which I'm not exactly as upset about as the front swing).A week or two ago, I decided to do some swings on the rings. Mainly I was testing a pair of synthetic vs wood rings and synthetic+tape.
It's probably been nearly 5 months since I've done any swings on rings. I've done a bit on a single rail (non-gymnastics) but noticed I did feel something was stretched around my armpit area on my left side. Just a month or two ago, a CF friend ended up tearing his lat off the humerus bone during some HB swings apparently. I don't know if he was swinging in straps or not. Bear in mind he is also a strong CFer. And I mean strong like a chimp. Beast. 100/120@85, can do flag. MU, ring HSPU, etc.
You also have some long arms, man.
Strange I've never considered my arms to be that long.
Im still a beginner in swings. Ive done them for some time but not consistently nor have I had any good coaching on them. I will try to eliminate slack and put pressure more on the rings in both front and back. I do quite a bit of warmup before doing them and also to monkey bar climbs every week as dynamic prep.
Josh sent me a good video today so Ill try to start the beginner drills.
Ring Swing Basics.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Coach Sommer said:Ring Swing Basics.Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks coach. I had read that before but for some reason forgot about it.
Right now, solve the hip piking but squeezing your ass. Point your toes. It's not about the aesthetic, it's about keeping the body tight.
Relax the shoulders but keep tension on the rings. Swinging with straps is a good idea too if they have some that will fit you. But bare in mind swinging with straps means bigger swings, more force and that takes it toll.
Ahh, looked at the videos again.
You are turning the rings out way too soon in the backswing. For now, I would not even turn out the rings yet. This is a hard habit to break once somebody starts doing it early. Basically it gets down to..."Don't turn out the rings!"
Had to say that a bit in May and June with the compulsory guys. Bad habits that needed to be taken back to 101.
When you get the rings to go as forward as possible in the backswing, then maybe we can think about turning the rings out.
But not now.
Just focus on pushing the rings forward in the back swing and pulling them back in the front swing. And kicking hard in the front to "candle" like a body lever. Don't stick your head out...ever. Wait to kick on the back swing as late as possible.
You want the kick to "turn-over" up not horizontally/out.
Here is an update. Progress has been slow but I have grips now to aid the swing.