L-sit on PB vs XR

Started by Bryan Wheelock, November 5, 2012 · 4 Replies · 3,344 Views

Bryan Wheelock

Everything I've read about ring training suggests the more time spent on rings, the faster the progression.

My L-sit PB max tested to 20s so I'm doing SSC 6 sets of 10s.

I'm a little bit below parallel, but I'm close.

It seems that I could increase the intensity of the work by doing L-sits on rings.

I tested it the other day and I was able to do 6 sets of 10s.

Why does the progression on PB go to L-sit advanced before doing rings?

Karri Kytömaa

I'd say it has pretty much to do with that if you don't train the adv. version on PB or floor, you will have very hard time getting it on rings. Also you should have easy 1min support hold before working on ring L-sits which is totally separate demand in relation to other L-work.

Everything I've read about ring training suggests the more time spent on rings, the faster the progression.

More time with fresh muscles and good form, no doubt about it. But doing some sloppy ring dips just because you can will hardly take you anywhere in the long run.

Cole Dano

It's because ring work is it's own specific area with it's own progression, starting with the elbow prep Coach has stickied in the ring sub-forum.

As laid out in BtGB ed I, one should have spent time with XR-Support / Dips before actually starting XR-L Sit.

Notice that FX Adv. L-sit come before 'regular' XR- L-sit. This is because at this point, the emphasis is on this being a support position, so the L-sit part of it already needs to be in place.

Better than saying, 'the more time spent on the rings the better' would be to say, 'the right amount of time spent on the rings at the right stage of a trainees development produces the best results'.

novadragonx5

hello, im new and was wondering what pb and xr means

Cole Dano

PB = Parallel Bars

 

XR = Rings