This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rope material WILL impact your performance...

Started by Nic Branson, October 31, 2012 · 6 Replies · 92 Views

Nic Branson

Just a note after a couple of questions I received. The type of material and thickness of your rope will have an impact on which level you're performing. It seems common sense I know but the impact can be dramatic. 1.5in poly to 1in cotton for instance is a night and day difference.

Now back own your ropes (if appropriate) and carry on.

Blairbob

I hate poly ropes. Never have really tried to climb with the cotton ropes though I think I've done pullups with them.

Manilla always, natural. None of that synthetic junk.

yuri marmerstein

If you're doing tricks and not just conditioning, manila rope is going to leave some nasty scars and bruises

yuri marmerstein

I was in a martial arts studio in cleveland that had a ridiculously thick synthetic rope. I literally couldn't even hang on to it.

I don't think anyone else in the studio could either though

The rope I've been training on just got a bungee added to it, makes things interesting. Drops are definitely easier though

Also, corde lisse is way easier than straps for those interested.

Nic Branson

Manila is evil evil evil evil for any corde lisse work. Though climbing it is stupid easy for me. For climbing I have a stiff as hell poly (just over 1.5 inches) that is slick. I've done a couple hip hangs and hitches on it. Not easy though.

Blairbob

Not a fan of the synthetic ropes. Ever.

No idea about corde lisse or doing funky stuff with ropes.

Nic Branson

I agree, the synthetic I have was not purchased for this purpose. Just worked out that way.