Scapular Functions and Movements During Rings Elements

Started by alec_ar, October 28, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,363 Views

alec_ar

I created this thread knowing that other threads have been posted about scapular functions, one of which was very helpful. But I'm posting this one to inquire from anyone who knows more than I about the scapulae and their activation during static holds on rings.

I already know the four main functions of the shoulder blades: elevation, protraction, retraction, and depression (and sometimes a mixing of two of these ex. Retraction AND depression. Or protraction AND elevation). But I have some simple questions that others might also have.

For instance, when gymnasts do strength moves like the planche and particularly, the Maltese, their scapulae tend to wing out from their backs. I always thought this alone was scapular protraction but I was informed awhile ago that protraction is more about the shoulder blades moving away from the spine and the shoulder joints moving forward in front of the body. So what is it when you push the scapulae out and he bottom of them 'wing out' away from your body. It is just a byproduct of protraction, or what happens when you both protract AND depress your shoulder blades?

Thanks in advance guys, and I hope this thread is inviting for anyone else with scapular related questions! :mrgreen:

Coach Sommer

The scapular "winging" that you noted is simply a variation of that particular person's anatomy. They are indeed protracting quite hard.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

alec_ar

Thanks coach! So I guess it is just a scapular function during protraction and the degree varies based on genetics.

One more question for anyone interested: since the inverted cross is one of the less discussed strength moves on the forum, how are the shoulder blades usually oriented during an inverted cross? I wanna say that Jovtchev's style is more protractedwhile Chen Yibing and Yan Mingyong tend to retract slightly. Incorrect?

Edit: not to answer my own question but upon further review it looks as though it simply depends upon the connecting moves to the Inv. Cross. For instance it appears that when a gymnast goes from Maltese and pushes to invert, he typically has a more protracted scapulae, but in general, as a standalone element, people seem to tend to do it with a little elevation AND retraction. Hmmm....