No momentum 90 degrees pushup with one arm!

Started by Yaad Mohammad, October 28, 2012 · 15 Replies · 3,895 Views

Micawberian

:shock: :shock: Holy handstand, Batman! That's amazing!

I do wonder, how much more easy it becomes for him by bending in the knees at the start of the push.

George Vere

It's actually a one arm elbow lever through one arm straddle press.

:shock:

Very impressive.

Coach Sommer

This is not a one arm hollowback press; it is a elbow lever side press.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Philip Chubb

You can call it a Twinkie or a HoHo for all I care. The only way to really describe it is awesome! The fact that he isn't a little Chinese girl but actually a grown man is great too. I would only be happier if he was shown later in the video squatting and Oly lifting.

Coach Sommer
Alex Chubb said:
... You can call it a Twinkie or a HoHo for all I care. The only way to really describe it is awesome! ...

I disagree. This is certainly an excellent skill and while I appreciate the OP's enthusiasm, I also have several issues with the implication that using or not using proper names is of no consequence.

- Regardless of how interesting the skill may be, IT IS NOT A ONE ARM HOLLOWBACK PRESS. Therefore it will not be referred to as a one arm hollowback press; regardless of how cool everyone thinks the skill is.

- Definitions matter and ensure that everyone on the GB forum is on the same page and talking about the same things. This is something that will continue to be rigorously enforced.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cole Dano

When Mikael was visiting a few weeks ago he showed a similar video to me from the same artist as he was quite impressed with this feat.

The thing that makes this special is the lack of any kind of kip which one normally sees with this.

Brian Li

It's no one arm 90 degree push-up, but it is still INSANE especially for a big guy. I think Cai Yong's press looks more like a one arm 90 degree push-up and was done without momentum too.

Yaad Mohammad

Sorry coach! I seriously thought it was a sloppy one handed bower!

yuri marmerstein
Alex Chubb said:
You can call it a Twinkie or a HoHo for all I care. The only way to really describe it is awesome! The fact that he isn't a little Chinese girl but actually a grown man is great too. I would only be happier if he was shown later in the video squatting and Oly lifting.

He is a specialist. Squats and O lifts would be detrimental for him as the time spent not training handstands and the extra mass in his lower body would render a skill like this inaccessible to him.

I'm not sure if I would quite call him a "grown' man either as he is probably around 5'2" or so

Keep in mind this move is just as much a display of flexibility and technique as it is strength. No amount of raw strength will make this move possible without the proper mobility to shift the weight in the right place in order to apply strength at the right times in the proper direction.

But massive congratulations as the first person not out of china to achieve this skill.

Philip Chubb
yuri said:
Alex Chubb said:
You can call it a Twinkie or a HoHo for all I care. The only way to really describe it is awesome! The fact that he isn't a little Chinese girl but actually a grown man is great too. I would only be happier if he was shown later in the video squatting and Oly lifting.

He is a specialist. Squats and O lifts would be detrimental for him as the time spent not training handstands and the extra mass in his lower body would render a skill like this inaccessible to him.

I'm not sure if I would quite call him a "grown' man either as he is probably around 5'2" or so

Keep in mind this move is just as much a display of flexibility and technique as it is strength. No amount of raw strength will make this move possible without the proper mobility to shift the weight in the right place in order to apply strength at the right times in the proper direction.

But massive congratulations as the first person not out of china to achieve this skill.

That is exactly why I would have been happy to see him doing oly lifting. But I know that wouldn't happen. I didn't realize he was 5'2 though! That changes a lot.

Aaron Griffin
yuri said:
I'm not sure if I would quite call him a "grown' man either as he is probably around 5'2" or so

HEIGHTISM!

yuri marmerstein

5'2" is a generalization, I don't know his exact height. But acrobats are tiny people in general and to be able to do this skill requires a certain stature.

I can however guarantee that he is much smaller than the majority of this forum

Craig Mallett

I thought Artur did this in his hand balancing performance posted some time back? or did he use a kip? I'll have to rewatch that video again! This is extremely impressive non the less!

yuri marmerstein

Artur did not do this

Craig Mallett

Just watched the video again, you're right. He does a negative variation at 1:08 and a kipping variation at 3:13. Still not quite as mental as what this guy is doing!