Elevated Rows and form

Started by Josh Schmitter, October 27, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,161 Views

Josh Schmitter

Hey all, just had a question about the ring rows. At the very top I have trouble touching the rings to my chest except during more explosive reps(i.e. 1010). At anything slower in tempo(2120) I can only touch for the first or second rep. I don't know the specifics of all the physics/angles involved, but recognize that if you hold the rings at a more acute angle to the body(i.e. closer to above the hips) it is easier to get that final little centimeter. It still feels much harder than the top of a pullup, however, which is what lends me to thinking it is just an angle/trying to go too far ROM problem. I focus on shoulder retraction and I feel like that is the important part, not so much the rings actually touching the chest.

So, to keep the verbosity gleaming, I am wondering if there is anything I should adjust(i.e. make them easier so I can touch the chest, or leave that hair of a centimeter alone). Thanks for bearing through that, and if not, you're probably better off :).

2F4AxDRGJyU

utd2WOndm_E

Cole Dano

You rows look fine as they are Tanstaafl, take a look at page 92 of the book.

Josh Schmitter

Thanks for the speedy, thorough response and taking the time. Always feels good to know something was/is continued to be done correctly.

Zach Armijo said:
You can utilize a false grip to get higher, although it shortens the length, it helps to get higher, works on false grip work, and you can perform archer rows easier with it too. But your tempo is fine and your retraction at the top great. I'll try some different rows tonight and see what else I can think of.

Many thanks. I do false grip rows in more of a standing position x2 a week(not ready for full on yet) as well as false grip hangs, so I'll be able to play with them someday. As far as trying out different rows, I am satisfied through and through w/ your response, so don't do them on my account...unless you just want to do a bunch of rows, in which case, I'll abide completely :).

Cole Dano said:
You rows look fine as they are Tanstaafl, take a look at page 92 of the book.

Thanks for the reassurance. I was on that page more than a few times, but I always second guessed.

Coach Sommer

For rowing work bending the elbows to approx 90 degrees is correct. The primary focus for rows should be on retracting the scapula.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Josh Schmitter
Coach Sommer said:
For rowing work bending the elbows to approx 90 degrees is correct. The primary focus for rows should be on retracting the scapula.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Awesome, thanks Coach. Your time has just been converted into my brain gold(currency of choice at the moment).