Hannibal The Conqueror

Started by StevenL, November 25, 2008 · 18 Replies · 6,111 Views

StevenL

This is a guy who is part of the Bartendaz movement, which is based mainly in Brooklyn, New York and encourages young people to "get drunk on the pull up bar!" They are a really positive organization with such catch phrases as "Health is wealth, movement is medicine", and "Bud don't make you wiser" and other such things. Anyway, Hannibal is probably the strongest of them all, and probably stronger than a lot of us on here! I believe he pulls front levers and planche pushups in these vids. If you want to see anymore Bartendaz vids, let me know and I'll post 'em!

JL

He is probably the best of that group. He isn't just strong in the pulling movements, but the pressing as well.

JoeSimo

How is his flexibility and dynamic strength?

StevenL

I'm not sure what you mean by that, like can he do the splits or something? I don't know. Dynamic strength? I don't know, but he is extremely strong, especially for someone who just works out at the park.

Mark Weaver

It's amazing how little you need to develop a physique like his. I don't know anything about former places he worked out at, or if he did it all at that playground (is that what it is, or a fitness park?), but it's amazing all the stuff peddled on TV and at the department that you "have to have" to get in shape.

I guess you need special equipment to develop more specific skills, e.g. rings for the cross or a mushroom for circles. But so many people I associate with aren't doing anything because they don't have this or that, or haven't found the exact right workout program. It's cool to see that you can just go over the park and attain that level of strength.

Kamali Downey

Dude is really strong.

I don't even know what you would call those one rows he does when he's like in a back lever? Crazy.

I wonder what his handstand game is like.

That Calisthenics Kingz dude is pretty good too, has good handstand skills.

One thing these type of vids show, is that it is not necessary to lift weights.

kbryk
One thing these type of vids show, is that it is not necessary to lift weights.

Beautiful, that's what gymnastics is all about, of course I am one to fall into the weight lifter category, but body weight is where I started and is where I always go when I want to see great gains.

Strong guy, lots of these people work out at parks, and they oddly resemble gyms? hmmm that's saying something, I've actually implemented a lot of park training into my routines and I love it, no ones with you, it's peaceful, just you and the metal.

Kamali Downey
kbryk said:
One thing these type of vids show, is that it is not necessary to lift weights.

Beautiful, that's what gymnastics is all about, of course I am one to fall into the weight lifter category, but body weight is where I started and is where I always go when I want to see great gains.

Strong guy, lots of these people work out at parks, and they oddly resemble gyms? hmmm that's saying something, I've actually implemented a lot of park training into my routines and I love it, no ones with you, it's peaceful, just you and the metal.

I've been working out like that in the park, I bring my rings. I am on the bars and on the rings 6 days a week rain or shine. I can honestly say I'm getting much stronger than when I used to do weights.

And yes, it is very peaceful and usually no one is there. After working out like this, I don't see myself going back to a traditional gym.

shiftedShapes
StevenL said:
This is a guy who is part of the Bartendaz movement, which is based mainly in Brooklyn, New York and encourages young people to "get drunk on the pull up bar!" They are a really positive organization with such catch phrases as "Health is wealth, movement is medicine", and "Bud don't make you wiser" and other such things. Anyway, Hannibal is probably the strongest of them all, and probably stronger than a lot of us on here! I believe he pulls front levers and planche pushups in these vids. If you want to see anymore Bartendaz vids, let me know and I'll post 'em!

He's a favorite of mine as well. I think he would be really good on the rings, especially becausehe doesn't work and just works out all day, he'd pick it up fast.

Not that it really matters, but I think that the Bartendaz are from uptown and Hannibal is from queens. Also Hannibal is part of Barmasters Extreme now and possibly no longer on good terms with the Bartnedaz.

StevenL

Yeah, I just saw a video today of BarmastersExtreme and Hannibal was in there, as well as Prophecy. Wonder what the deal is? How do you know that he doesn't have a job? What does he do?

JoeSimo

I still never see these guys showcasing leg strength. To me thats an important thing. But thats just me I guess.

shiftedShapes
StevenL said:
Yeah, I just saw a video today of BarmastersExtreme and Hannibal was in there, as well as Prophecy. Wonder what the deal is? How do you know that he doesn't have a job? What does he do?

I would rather not get into the petty infighting, as far as Hannibal though I don't know him personally I'm just going off what Beast told me earlier this year. Not sure if the info is current.

shiftedShapes
JoeSimo said:
I still never see these guys showcasing leg strength. To me thats an important thing. But thats just me I guess.

They are all competitive why don't you post a video response to one of their vids showing what you are capable of and issue a friendly challenge.

That would be something people could do in the winter without risking their hands freezing to the bar.

JoeSimo
shiftedShapes said:

They are all competitive why don't you post a video response to one of their vids showing what you are capable of and issue a friendly challenge.

That would be something people could do in the winter without risking their hands freezing to the bar.

They might be competitive, but I am not actually. I train for my own personal reasons, not to beat any person in even a friendly competition. Not saying there is anything wrong with that I am just saying thats my own personal opinion. I was just saying I never see any of them work legs the way they work everything else, even Zef, Jay, Pete, and to an extent Rick. From a purely fitness aspect that can lead to physical imbalances. That in turn can lead to injury. If they spent time working on flexibility ad lower body their abilities would be "more complete" i guess you could say. As it stands now I think they are almost limited in a way.

But again Its just my take on it. I have different goals from them just as they have different goals from me.

StevenL

How do you train legs, Joe?

JoeSimo

Well, considering Wushu is like 70% leg work that does help. Climbing is also heavily leg oriented despite what people think. So, that also helps. Other than that general leg conditioning I do is: Sprints, body weight hamstring curls, squats, sissy squats, straight-leg Leg raises, straddle leg raises, standing jumps with added weight, calf raises, and a host of Wushu related conditioning such as low stance work, kicks, sweeps, and wushu related jumping. To strengthen the front of my calfs, which helps in ankle stability I have found, I took and old pair of shoes and tapes a long piece of wood to the bottom. This way I can add weight to it and practice lifting the toes up with the resistance. It absolutely burns the muscles near the shin, but I have found it helps greatly with controlling and getting into low stances and helps support my ankle. On top of all that I stretch my legs religiously (as well as the rest of my body). Not just passive stretching but also active stretching with a focus of strengthening my legs in the awkward stretched positions.

Hope this helps.

StevenL

Interesting! Wushu sounds pretty cool. I just stick to sprints, squats, pistols, and jump rope.

JoeSimo

Oh yeah forgot about pistols. Sometimes I do jumping pistols too. Jump up, switch leg and so on. Wushu is an interesting sport. It's a martial art but also very expressive like dance and alot very dynamically athletic like gymnastics. I enjoy it much.

Gregor

Can you post some of your vids of Wushu, if you have it. Yes, it's very interesting sport to watch, alot of gymnastics and on the other hand martial arts.