Muscular imbalance only working floor skills?

Started by Aaron Griffin, October 27, 2012 · 2 Replies · 1,907 Views

Aaron Griffin

Is it possible to have a muscular balance with little to no pulling work? I get this feeling that things like planche and handstand press training actually cover enough of the back musculature to balance things out. The only thing that I feel might be missing is the whole "arms behind the back" thing (shoulder flexion?) which COULD be covered with MSH/Manna training, yes?

I feel as if I want to focus on a smaller handful of things for a 6-8 week cycle to see how it goes, but don't want to imbalance myself

Brian Li

I don't think just working floor skills will balance your push and pull strength and musculature because the lats (mid-back) will not be worked enough. The only floor skills where I think the lats would be worked are planche and floor maltese and the lats only work as stabilizers in those positions which is not enough to tax them like in pulling exercises.

Karri Kytömaa

In addition what B1214N said, it's important to notice that if we are talking about functional imbalances and not some muscular imbalances body builders would care about, you want to train the muscles in their primary work, that is your back is pretty much about pulling strength even though it can be used for pushing.

For short time to focus on some specific skill, I don't think it will do any harm. For imbalances to be troublesome it takes months or even years of unbalanced training.