I've struggled for a couple of years now with hip flexibility after a Strained piraformis in Capoeira. This article challenges a lot of assumptions I had made in trying to rectify the problem, arguing that inadequate core strength is the primary limiting factor. What do you guys think?
Interesting Article on Hip Mobility/Flexibility
Started by Randeep Walia, October 26, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,272 Views
Very interesting read - thanks for the share! I too am very interested to hear someone (with a much better understanding of anatomy than I) give an opinion about this article.
The confusing thing for me is that he talks directly about hip "mobility" (ie. the ability for the hip joint to move freely in its joint) but then seems to imply that good mobility = good flexibility. In my case, I have pretty good hip "mobility" but lack flexibility, especially in pike positions. Perhaps a weakness is actually causing a lack of flexibility? If so, what core exercise is recommended to improve pike flexibility?
A.J. said:Very interesting read - thanks for the share! I too am very interested to hear someone (with a much better understanding of anatomy than I) give an opinion about this article.The confusing thing for me is that he talks directly about hip "mobility" (ie. the ability for the hip joint to move freely in its joint) but then seems to imply that good mobility = good flexibility. In my case, I have pretty good hip "mobility" but lack flexibility, especially in pike positions. Perhaps a weakness is actually causing a lack of flexibility? If so, what core exercise is recommended to improve pike flexibility?
Mobility is not equal to good flexibility.
The mobility issues are very related to a neuromuscular lever, where different parts of the joint (tendon, golgi's tendon organ, and other stuff ) need to have a direct "conection" to the motor unit .
We're not talking about that the conection will make your joint to have a great flexibility or range of motion.
When you do stability work, the thing that you're doing it to teach your mind how to use your body. When your CNS (mind) get the correct stimulus to have the capacity /hability for flex a muscle or, the motor unit knows then how to innervate them, then you can say that you can use them as you have learn how to use them. Then you are not depending on other muscles for standing, for doing certain movements, and also your body uses then the correct muscles. Then you generate a balance between different kind of muscles and the the mobility comes =)
is what i understand