My first ring muscle up! *video*

Started by StevenF, October 26, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,125 Views

StevenF

I've only used my rings a couple of times before and haven't used them in around three months. Since it was nice and sunny (but a chilling 6 degrees) I decided to take them down to the park. On my first attempted I racked out two muscle ups and managed 4 sets of 2 throughout the workout! Had a big smile on my face! Decided to record the last set along with a few other exercises:

q2c9mXfZOD0

I know my form isn't great, but it's a start.

hibernate

Nice work StevenF.

I recently achieved a ring MU for the first time, and I remember my excitement!

What tips would you suggest for the negative transition? I can do several sets of singles, but fail at the negative transition and therefore can't do more than one in a row.

StevenF
hibernate said:
Nice work StevenF.

I recently achieved a ring MU for the first time, and I remember my excitement!

What tips would you suggest for the negative transition? I can do several sets of singles, but fail at the negative transition and therefore can't do more than one in a row.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, and congratulations on your own achievement :)

I'm not sure how to answer that questions, since the first time I managed my muscle up I did three! The best way I could image to train the transition is to practice pull ups at chest height; try hold yourself at the top position for a second or so and lower your body slowly and controlled.

Again when doing dips, I go as far down as my shoulders allow me (slowly) and thrust up back to the starting position.

I didn't do any specific muscle up training, so I'm not entirely sure what would work and what wouldn't.