Kip to support a good idea for beginner?

Started by mattybongo, October 26, 2012 · 6 Replies · 2,975 Views

mattybongo

I saw this video below and wanted to try it out myself but don't want to get injured. I'm a long way from a muscle up but I can hold a good support for 45s+, can do a forward roll and also 5+ bulgarian ring dips.

http://youtu.be/kxj4EsM4JB4

Would I be ok to try it or is this much harder than it looks? I couldn't find much info on it...

Larry Roseman

I asked this question also so believe I know the answer for a change. The short answer is that no, it is not a beginner level move.

It is different than muscle up of course, but still involves a ton of strength from a disadvanged leverage position. There could be some momentum behind it but at the same time this makes it an explosive dynamic move that more can go wrong with if control is not maintained throughout.

If you try it, make sure that there are thick pads underfoot. Probably it would be best to be spotted during it.

Coach Sommer

As you do not yet have a solid MU, you almost certainly lack sufficient strength to perform a kip.

Also a kip should arrive in the support position with locked arms; something which requires substantially more triceps strength than was demonstrated in the video.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Brian Li

Is the kip to support safe to do on the Extreme Rings? In other words, can the cam buckles withstand the momentum from the kip?

Coach Sommer

There is no appreciable momentum worth noting encountered during the execution of a kip.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

Matty, bent and straight arm kips are two different skills nearly. A straight arm kip is a hard B skill technically and you'll notice in that video the user also employs a false grip for the kip.

Don't expect to get past the bent arm kip without being really strong besides having a lot of straight arm strength.

Alex87 was pretty close last I remembered.

Brian Li
Coach Sommer said:
There is no appreciable momentum worth noting encountered during the execution of a kip.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks! I have no experience with this skill and thought a lot of sudden momentum would generated.

Blairbob said:
Matty, bent and straight arm kips are two different skills nearly. A straight arm kip is a hard B skill technically and you'll notice in that video the user also employs a false grip for the kip.

Don't expect to get past the bent arm kip without being really strong besides having a lot of straight arm strength.

Alex87 was pretty close last I remembered.

Hey Blair, how strong would you need to be and what prerequisites are needed before performing this skill. Are the arms supposed to be locked out the whole time and is the false grip necessary? Is the arm motion similar to the kip up on bars and front pulls where they stay close to the body or are they supposed to go out to the side before getting to support? Thanks!