This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thanks Coach!

Started by Craig Mallett, October 23, 2012 · 1 Replies · 61 Views

Craig Mallett

So last night I was playing on the rings and decided to try a muscle up. I have never been able to do anything even remotely resembling a muscle up in the past so I was hugely shocked when I was able to complete two (albeit very wobbly and without good technique) muscle ups on the rings from a dead hang to a turned out XR Support.

The very interesting thing here is that I have not been training for muscle ups at all. In fact, my training looks mostly like this:

Things I do with every workout:

W/U:

5 different wrist pushups x 10r

10 x shoulder dislocates

10 x dorsal shoulder dislocates

10 x wall extensions

Daily Balance and Basics:

Either Wall Handstand 4 x 20s OR a zillion freestanding handstands (can't hold for more than a few seconds each so I just do a tonne until I'm over it)

60s German Hang

5 x 30s template XR Supports

Things I do on my "day 1" workout (after all of the stuff above):

PE1 and related mobility for:

FL, PL, HB, RC

Things I do on my "day 2" workout:

PE1 and related mobility for:

MN, SLS (given the huge amount of leg training I do with my martial arts, I sometimes skip the SLS)

Given we didnt cover the SL progressions I have also just been doing either archups, windscreen wipers or SL block holds as my side lever work here. SL block holds are now at 5 x 30s

EDIT: I also do all my dynamic work on these days, which includes: crawl patterns, climbing trees, balancing on logs and fences, practising kip ups, jumping, stone hopping (jumping between scattered stones and rocks), bridges, swinging on the monkey bars, and whatever other random stuff I can come up with on the day

So as you can see I've made some serious progress by only following Coach's new programming, and even things I'm not training have improved dramatically. I also managed last night to hold a 1 or 2 second full back lever, that the person spotting me said was pretty straight, so thats a first as well!

Thanks again Coach, can't wait for the November seminar!

As a note of feedback, for the PL PE1 (shoulder protractions), I've found that facing a wall and pressing the hands against the wall HARD (it's actually more like a scoop up through the wall) helps to activate the correct muscles and make sure I don't slack off in the shape.

Nic Branson

Nice work! The wall provides good feedback to teach you good activation. You can expand that idea as you get more experience.