is this a correct planche lean?

Started by Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino, October 23, 2012 · 11 Replies · 2,976 Views

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

Hello everybody, recently i though it was time to begin working in planche. I hadn't begin it as my wrists were not strong enough so it was painfull to even try a planche lean.

I decided to try it with my hands rotated, so the pain could be zero.

Is the first time i try them , i had read the correct position for it (hollow and shoulders protacted) but i dont know if i am doing them correctly....

please tell me what you think and what i can do in order to improve them

pKUXKfZKEy4

thanks in advice

Yaad Mohammad

Yes, this is a correct planche lean

Coach Sommer

The shape is fine and the current degree of lean is a good beginning; however keep increasing the degree of forward lean until your hands are just shy of being directly under your hips.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

scottmo

Where should we feel the stress most when the hands are directly under the hips for the planche lean. This helps to understand which muscles to tension the most. thanks

Daniel Burnham

I'm surprised no one mentioned your hand position. I feel pointed out to the side would not condition the elbows or wrists as much as front or back would. This means less translation to rings or full floor planche.

I know the main focus of the lean at this stage is body shape but I still would pick hands back or forward. Back is better for rings forward has better wrist prep and is easier on floor to balance.

Aaron Griffin
Daniel Burnham said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned your hand position. I feel pointed out to the side would not condition the elbows or wrists as much as front or back would. This means less translation to rings or full floor planche.

I know the main focus of the lean at this stage is body shape but I still would pick hands back or forward. Back is better for rings forward has better wrist prep and is easier on floor to balance.

And side is better for PBs

Daniel Burnham
phrak said:
Daniel Burnham said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned your hand position. I feel pointed out to the side would not condition the elbows or wrists as much as front or back would. This means less translation to rings or full floor planche.

I know the main focus of the lean at this stage is body shape but I still would pick hands back or forward. Back is better for rings forward has better wrist prep and is easier on floor to balance.

And side is better for PBs

I had that discussion with josh and I don't think it's really that close. Planche feels way different on bars due to wrist involvement. I dont think you get the same involvement by having them flat and out to the side with fingers spread. Plus paralletes are so easy to make and store.

Coach Sommer
Daniel Burnham said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned your hand position. I feel pointed out to the side would not condition the elbows or wrists as much as front or back would. This means less translation to rings or full floor planche.

I know the main focus of the lean at this stage is body shape but I still would pick hands back or forward. Back is better for rings forward has better wrist prep and is easier on floor to balance.

Yes and no.

Either sideways or forward are both appropriate for beginners; it essentially boils down to a matter of personal preference. However most beginners should not use hands backwards as they do not yet possess the brachialis strength to safely do so.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Burnham
Coach Sommer said:
Daniel Burnham said:

Yes and no.

Either sideways or forward are both appropriate for beginners; it essentially boils down to a matter of personal preference. However most beginners should not use hands backwards as they do not yet possess the brachialis strength to safely do so.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for clarifying coach!

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino
Coach Sommer said:
Daniel Burnham said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned your hand position. I feel pointed out to the side would not condition the elbows or wrists as much as front or back would. This means less translation to rings or full floor planche.

I know the main focus of the lean at this stage is body shape but I still would pick hands back or forward. Back is better for rings forward has better wrist prep and is easier on floor to balance.

Yes and no.

Either sideways or forward are both appropriate for beginners; it essentially boils down to a matter of personal preference. However most beginners should not use hands backwards as they do not yet possess the brachialis strength to safely do so.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

is the same if someone has already been working a lot in tendon prehab, and also already has basic stuff like back lever?

thanks for the answer Coach

Coach Sommer
martinponce said:
... is the same if someone has already been working a lot in tendon prehab, and also already has basic stuff like back lever? ... thanks for the anwer Coach

Unless you already have mastered a hollowback press handstand, rope climbs (without legs) etc, you are still a beginner and have no business attempting to prepare for a planche on the rings.

Note that crawling always comes before walking, followed by running, which in turn is followed by jumping. This is a universal law of nature and is applicable in all cases. If we measure GST along this type of continuum, ring strength would equate to the "running" phase.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Brian Li
Unless you already have mastered a hollowback press handstand, rope climbs (without legs) etc, you are still a beginner and have no business attempting to prepare for a planche on the rings.

Is the degree of elbow stress massive for fingers back compared to fingers to the sides or PB? How much more pressure would the elbows face when doing a planche on rings compared to a fingers back planche on floor? Would the prime movers also have to work harder in the rings planche or just the stabilizers? Sorry if those were silly questions, I was just curious.